clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Silverwolves punch ticket to postseason

Fremont QB tosses 4 TDs, rushes for 2 in stellar outing

PLAIN CITY— Officially, the Class 5A football playoffs don't begin until next week, but for the Fremont Silverwolves, who were fighting for their playoff lives, the postseason began Friday night. Needing a win over Region 1 foe Clearfield to officially get into the playoffs, the Silverwolves did just that.

Senior quarterback Chase Moore threw four touchdown passes and rushed for two more in leading Fremont to the 49-21 victory.

With the win Fremont (6-4. 3-4) now hosts the same Falcons (4-6, 3-4) Tuesday at 4 p.m. in a play-in game.

"Our backs were against the wall a little more than their's were and I'm sure they're going to be a lot tougher Tuesday than they were tonight," Fremont coach Blaine Monkres said.

Moore completed 17-of-31 passes for 260 yards.

"Chase did a great job," Monkres said. "I can usually tell when he's focused and he was ready to go. Hopefully he's ready to go again Tuesday."

Moore scored on a 1-yard run midway through the first quarter and then connected with Benson Beus for a 25-yard touchdown pass to make it 14-0.

The Fremont defense bent but didn't break in the first half.

Although it allowed a 29-yard touchdown pass from Colton Young to Trevor Evans, the Fremont defense held Clearfield to a pair of missed field goals, and Bryan Grange had a 36-yard interception return to set up a 9-yard touchdown pass from Moore to Mike Hatch to make it 21-7 at the half.

Fremont's Derek Monkres applied the dagger just seconds into the third quarter when he returned the kickoff 97 yards for the touchdown.

Clearfield cut the lead to 27-14 on a 3-yard run by Evans, then Fremont scored 22 straight points.

Moore completed two more touchdown passes to Monkres (26 yards) and Beus (2) and rushed for another early in the fourth quarter.

An interception by Wes Hulse set up the touchdown pass to Beus.

Along with the monstrous kickoff return Monkres had more than 100 yards receiving.

Evans scored his third touchdown of the game with 2:11 left in the game to stop Fremont's lengthy scoring string.