clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Fremont moves on in 5A

Clearfield's Trevor Evans, left, catches a touchdown pass over Fremont's Wes Hulse in their 5A play-in game Tuesday.
Clearfield's Trevor Evans, left, catches a touchdown pass over Fremont's Wes Hulse in their 5A play-in game Tuesday.
Tom Smart, Deseret Morning News

PLAIN CITY — Fremont's play-in game Tuesday afternoon against Clearfield was nothing new to the Silver Wolves. After all, they knew they needed to win their last two Region 1 games just to get a shot at staying alive. Having already survived that kind of pressure by winning those games, Fremont continued to thrive as it handled the Falcons 33-14.

"We have been playing for our lives for three games now, so this was not that big of a deal," said receiver Derek Monkres. "We were confident that we could beat them again. We knew if we just came out and played like we did on Friday (Fremont beat Clearfield 49-21), then we would win."

Things could not have started much better for the Silver Wolves. On the second play of the game, safety Bryan Grange laid a lick on the Falcons' Trevor Evans forcing a fumble which Chris Thomas recovered. Quarterback Chase Moore connected with Monkres for a 33-yard pass to the 1-yard line. Moore took it in himself on the next play.

The Fremont defense forced Clearfield to punt on its next possession, and it took the offense only five plays to cover 76 yards to put the team up 13-0. Dalton Aiken capped the drive with a 38-yard touchdown run.

"I think it was huge for us to come out and take it to them like that," added Monkres.

The Fremont defense continued to control the game as it held the Falcons without a first down on their first six possessions. In fact, Clearfield's first new set of downs came with 1:47 to play in the second quarter. The Silver Wolves added two more scores before the break as Monkres caught a 30-yard touchdown pass and Chad Richens had a three-yard scoring grab. Clearfield's score came just before the break on an 11-yard reception by Evans .

The second half didn't get much better for the Falcons as the Fremont defense continued to dominate. For the game, the Silver Wolves forced seven turnovers, five of which came on interceptions. Brandon Bennett picked off two passes while Grange, Matt White and John Meyer all collected one. Kyle Norman turned one of the turnovers into a score as he picked up a fumble and returned it 31 yards for a touchdown.

"Our defense really rose to the occasion," Monkres said. "They have been doing a good job for us the last three games."

Fremont now faces top-ranked Bingham with the game time still to be determined on Friday or Saturday.

"We'll go out there see what we can do," said coach Blaine Monkres. "We have played Bingham almost every year, so we know how good they are. We need to come prepared."