clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Salem mom, children flee blazing house

SALEM — A Salem woman barely managed to lead her four children to safety Friday night before her house was engulfed in flames.

Mandy Deben had just barely put her youngest child to bed at her home near 150 S. Main around 7 p.m. when she realized a fire had started. She quickly gathered her children and rushed out of the house wearing only her pajamas and socks.

She said by the time they had reached the sidewalk, the house was ablaze.

Fire officials are still uncertain what had caused the fire, Deben said, but she suspects that it was the clothes washer.