A woman who didn't leave her burning apartment quickly enough suffered minor burns early Friday in a two-alarm fire in Salt Lake County.

Firefighters were called at about 2:45 a.m. to the Spring Meadow Apartments, 4128 S. 465 East, and arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from a third-story balcony. A second alarm was immediately called, said Unified Fire Authority Capt. Jay Torgersen.

Because the fire was primarily on the balcony, crews were able to knock it down from outside the apartment, he said. The fire was put out about a half-hour later.

A man, woman and 2-year-old child were inside the apartment at the time of the fire. The 27-year-old female was taken to a local hospital to be treated for minor burns she suffered while trying to get dressed. Torgersen said even if a person has just gotten out of bed and are in their underwear or pajamas they should still try to get out immediately.

"Everyone's initial first thought is grab some clothes. You can survive outside partly clothed. You can't survive inside the fire," he cautioned.

The fire caused an estimated $175,000 damage. Investigators believe the fire started on the balcony but had not been able to determine Friday how it started. The fire's origin was not suspicious, Torgersen said.

Some adjacent units suffered smoke and water damage, but tenants were expected to be allowed back into those units by Saturday.


E-mail: preavy@desnews.com