SPRINGVILLE — Tyson Lund and Andrew Barton have taken plenty of golf trips together.

But the two young men from Sandy knew the trip they took down the No. 1 fairway at Hobble Creek Golf Course late Sunday afternoon was going to end sadly for one of them. What they didn't expect, however, was that it would end so anticlimactic — considering both had just completed 36 holes of outstanding golf to finish tied for first at the 40th annual Art City Amateur at 8-under par 134.

But as the sun sank low in the canyon sky, all it took was a two-putt bogey from about 20 feet on the first hole of sudden death for Barton to take home the title. The Dixie State golfer won the UGA Tournament of Champions last summer, but still considers winning the Art City as one of his top accomplishments in golf so far.

"This is right up there, that's for sure," Barton said.

Lund, who benefitted from booming drives all day, was hurt in the end by his own strength. He hit first on the dogleg left par-4 playoff hole and amazingly smashed a hybrid club about 300 yards, sailing through the pine trees at the end of the fairway and coming to rest adjacent to No. 7 green. Barton followed by also driving through the fairway, stopping behind a pine tree.

It turned out that even though Lund's drive was 40 yards from the fairway, he actually had an open look to the green. But he couldn't gauge his yardage. His second shot, with a nine-iron, sailed over the green onto the cart path — bouncing into the hazard. Barton had a small opening between two trees, but after seeing Lund in trouble he decided to punch back out into the fairway.

"I really hadn't made my decision on how I was going to play that until (Lund) hit his shot," Barton said.

Barton's third shot from about 100 yards came to rest 20 feet below the cup. Meanwhile, Lund had to take a drop behind the green in deep rough and with a large knoll between him and the pin. He hit a pretty good chip, but it still rolled 30 feet past the cup. When he missed that putt for bogey, all Barton needed to do was two putt for the win — which he did.

"Even though I didn't win, I still feel like I played some great golf," said Lund, who will likely play for Utah Valley State this fall.

Most of the final round was a battle between Barton, co-first-round leader Scott Clark and Jeff Jolley — with Lund playing in the group ahead and quietly climbing into contention with a final-round 66, which tied for Sunday's low score. Lund had a chance to win outright but missed a speedy downhill 8-foot eagle putt on 18.

Behind him, however, Clark and Barton were going head-to-head and were within a shot or two of each other the entire way, with Jolley close behind.

Barton and Clark were both 9-under after 14 holes, but things changed down the stretch. Barton, Clark and Jolley each missed a short par putt on 15. Clark then three-putted 16 and quickly dropped out of contention with a double-bogey on 17 after hitting a tree off the tee with his drive.

"I think I just got inpatient and a little frustrated," Clark said.

When Barton missed a slick 6-foot par putt on 17 he fell a shot behind Lund. His second shot into the par-5 finishing hole stopped 40 feet below the hole, and his eagle putt steamed about four feet past leaving him a delicate birdie try for the tie.

"I didn't want to leave myself that downhill putt, but I did. Fortunately I was able to make it," Barton said.

With a birdie on No. 18, Jolley finished alone in third a 7-under par 135. BYU's Robbie Fillmore, with a 66 on Sunday, took fourth at 136. Clark was alone in fifth at 138, and Doug Baxter and Jason Hargett tied for fifth at 139.

E-mail: jimr@desnews.com