Wednesday, May 14
• Utah County Birders meeting at 7 p.m., Rock Canyon amphitheater. Merrill Webb will lead a bird walk. Additional information: utahbirds.org/ucb/index.html. Free.
• Dip Into May, 7 p.m. Little Theatre Kitchen class at the Spanish Fork Macey's, 187 E. 1000 North. Get some great dip ideas. Call 798-9803. Free.
Thursday, May 15
• Cooking with Kathy, 7 p.m. Little Theatre Kitchen class at the Spanish Fork Macey's, 187 E. 1000 North. Recipes from the Middle East. Call 798-9803. Free.
• Brunch Basics is the topic of Provo Macey's Little Theatre Kitchen class, 1400 N. State, at 7 p.m. Learn how to make gluten-free crustless quiche and fresh apple cake. Call 356-3216. Free.
• Ivy Hall Academy Spring Program: The Jungle Book, at 7 p.m. at the Covey Center for the Arts, 425 W. Center, Provo. Free.
• Mazda Pre-race Exhibition, 6 p.m., prior to the American Le Mans race, Legacy Mazda, 55 E. University Parkway, Orem. The first 100 to register receive a free T-shirt or hat. Call 226-8555. Free.
Friday, May 16
• Provo Children's Book Festival at 7 p.m., Provo City Library at Academy Square, 550 N. University Ave. Featuring Gerald McDermott, author of the "Trickster Tale" books. Call 852-6682. Free.
• 21st Annual Auto Expo and Swap Meet, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., May 16-17, Swap meet both days, car show Saturday only. Electric Park, Thanksgiving Point in Lehi. Cost: $3. Call 768-4900.
• Indie Rock/Showtime Utah!, 7 p.m. dinner show Friday and Saturday with 10 p.m. Entertainment hotspots featuring opera, Broadway, jazz, stand-up comedy and karaoke opportunities (Saturday night). Three bands: Waters Underground, Blacksheep Wahl and Never Ending Sidewalk, will play Friday at 20 Main St. in Pleasant Grove. Cost: $19.95 (introductory price). Call: 636-9669. See: showtimeutah.com.
Saturday, May 17
• Provo Children's Book Festival,10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Provo City Library at Academy Square, 550 N. University Ave. Features more than 30 local and regional authors and illustrators. Includes puppet shows, arts and crafts, printing press demonstrations, book character visits, refreshments. Call 852-6682. Free.
• Armed Forces Day Celebration, Provo Macey's from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., honoring six World War II and Korean War veterans. Childrenare coloring patriotic pages to present to the veterans that day. Pick up free pages at the service desk. Call 356-3216.
• Orem Community Dance, 8-11 p.m. at the Orem Senior Friendship Center, 93 N. 400 East. Music provided by Randy Evans. Cost: $5. Call 229-7110.
New stage shows:
• Mahonri Stuart's "Swallow The Sun," May 16-17, 19, 23-24 at 7:30 p.m. with 2:30 p.m. matinees on May 17 and 24 at the Provo Theater Company, 105 E. 100 North, Provo. A world premier on the early life of C.S. Lewis. Cost: $10/$8 students and seniors. Call 830-4553 or newplayproject.org/tickets.
• "The Mikado," May 16-June 7 at 7:30 p.m., Center Street Musical Theater, 177 W. Center, Provo. Cost: $10/$8 children,$45/family. Dinner: $10. Call 373-4485.
• Jon Schmidt with Brandie Frampton, first in Summer Concert Series designed to benefit Timpview Music Department, Timpview High School, 3570 N. 650 East, Provo, 7 p.m., May 17. Cost: $10 or $70 for full, five-concert series. Call 669-7373 or 368-5046 or 358-2023. See: timpviewband.com.
• Benefit concert: Camp Kesem BYU, a camp for kids whose parents have cancer, 7 p.m., May 17, Tahitian Noni International Visitor Center, 333 W. River Park Drive. Features: Debra Fotheringham, Bentley Murdock, The Canyon View Jr. High Choir. Cost: $5: brownpapertickets.com/event/34208. Call 734-9313 or buy at door.
• The Chauntenette Women's Chorus presents "A Kaleidoscope of Song," May 16 at 7 p.m., American Fork Tabernacle, 110 E. Main. Call 785-3029. Free.
• Nebo Philharmonic Orchestra: "COWBOY UP!" 7:30 p.m., May 17, American Leadership Academy, 1172 S. Del Monte, Spanish Fork. Cost: $5/$3 students, at the door.
• Broden and Jennifer Steed Pemberton Benefit Concert, May 17, 4-8 p.m. at the SilverLake Amphitheater, 7920 N. SilverLake Parkway, Eagle Mountain. Features Peter Breinholt and J. Marc Bailey. Proceeds go to the Pemberton family. Event includes activities, food and a silent auction. Cost: $10/$5 children. Call 616-3431.
• American Fork Children's Choir Spring Concert, May 19 at 6:30 p.m. at the Historic City Hall, 31 N. Church St. Free.
See deseretnews.com for full calendar listings.