clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Magna fire destroys home

A Magna man was unable to rescue pets trapped in a Sunday morning house fire that destroyed the residence and displaced a family of four at 7230 Adams Rd.

Unified Fire Authority Captain Wade Russell said firefighters called to the two-alarm blaze shortly after 10 a.m. arrived to find the man attempting to enter the three-bedroom home that was already engulfed in flame. Russell said the man, who was not injured in the incident, told first responders that he was trying to rescue two dogs trapped in a back room of the home. Both animals perished in the fire.

Russell said fire crews were able to keep the fire from spreading to adjacent homes, but a recreational vehicle parked nearby, belonging to the home's owner, was severely damaged and another vehicle in an attached garage was destroyed. Russell said the house was a "complete loss" and estimated damages would be in excess of $200 thousand. No other residents or firefighters were injured.

Sunday afternoon, Russell said investigators had determined that a fryer being used in the garage of the home ignited the blaze. Red Cross workers were aiding the family in finding shelter.