Scandal has Pitino family in 'pure hell'
LOUISVILLE, Ky. — Louisville coach Rick Pitino said Wednesday a sex scandal involving a woman accused of trying to extort millions from him has been "pure hell" for his family, fuming that newly released video of her police interview revived her "total fabrication."
Pitino spoke at a hastily called news conference hours after Louisville police released audio and video recordings of phone calls and an interview with Karen Cunagin Sypher, the woman at the heart of the scandal. Pitino has told police that he had sex with her six years ago.
Sypher claims in the interview that Pitino sexually assaulted her, an allegation she brought to police after she was accused of trying to extort millions from the coach. She has pleaded not guilty to federal charges of extortion and lying to the FBI.
The coach lashed out at the media for again reporting on her accusations by airing clips of the interviews Wednesday. Prosecutors did not pursue charges against the coach.
"Everything that's been printed, everything that's been reported, everything that's been breaking in the news on the day Ted Kennedy died is 100 percent a lie, a lie," Pitino said. "All of this has been a lie, a total fabrication of the truth." The 56-year-old married father of five, who's a Roman Catholic, said the scandal has taken a heavy toll on his wife and family. "It has been pure hell for her and my family," he said.
Querry wins U.S. Open Series title
NEW HAVEN, Conn. — Hard-serving Sam Querrey won the U.S. Open Series championship Wednesday by moving into the quarterfinals of the Pilot Pen tennis tournament with a 7-5, 6-3 victory over Bjorn Phau of Germany.
The series ranks players using a points system based on their play in 10 selected tournaments throughout the year.
The victory gives Querrey 145 series points, enough to tie Andy Murray, who is not playing in New Haven. Querrey wins the title because he has 14 match wins in series events, to eight for Murray.
The title gives Querrey a chance to earn a bonus of between $15,000 and $1 million, to be determined by his finish in the U.S. Open.
T-Wolves top pick may stay in Spain
MINNEAPOLIS — Minnesota Timberwolves president David Kahn disputed a Spanish report Wednesday that point guard Ricky Rubio will be staying in Spain for another two years.
The Spanish Web site Marca.com reported earlier in the day that Regal Barcelona had reached a buyout agreement with Rubio's team, DKV Joventut for $5.3 million. The report said Rubio would sign a six-year deal with the team that included an affordable buyout in 2011 that would allow him to come to the NBA.
But Kahn issued a statement saying no deal has been reached.
"Based on the information I have attained today, no team in any league has reached a deal with DKV Joventut concerning Ricky's buyout, which must be accomplished before Ricky is released from his contract with DKV Joventut," the statement read.
That means that Rubio's saga will continue as the Wolves and new coach Kurt Rambis get closer to training camp.
The Timberwolves selected Rubio with the fifth pick in the June draft, knowing full well of the sticky buyout situation with DKV Joventut. Rubio is under contract for another two years with Joventut, a deal that includes an $8 million buyout.
The Timberwolves can only contribute $500,000 toward the buyout under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement, meaning Rubio would be responsible for paying the balance himself. Rubio is understandably hesitant to start his NBA career some $7.5 million in the hole.
—Deseret News staff and wire reports