clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Firefighters battle Springville attic blaze

SPRINGVILLE — An attic fire displaced a family of four Wednesday in Springville.

The homeowner smelled smoke coming from his wood-burning stove around noon and extinguished the fire there. However, the fire already had spread to the attic above the stove, fire officials said.

The house's fire alarms started to sound around 4 p.m., and the man called 911. Crews arriving at the home at 745 S. 700 East saw smoke and flames coming from the attic.

Due to extensive remodeling and additions, the fire was able to spread into "dead air spaces," according to Springville Police Lt. Dave Caron.

"Springville firefighters finally got control, then extinguished the fire after nearly five difficult hours," with help from the Mapleton Fire Department, Caron said.

The family is staying with friends. There is no estimate of damage.

— Paul Koepp