clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Heat lamp for duck blamed in Roy house fire

ROY — A Roy family escaped from their burning home Wednesday without injuries.

The fire was spotted just before 2 a.m. when a family member returned to the home, 5646 S. 3925 West, and found flames and smoke rising from the back of the house, said Roy Deputy Fire Chief Eric Froerer.

The man was able to get the four other adults and one child out of the home. The family's pet duck and chicken were also uninjured, Froerer said.

It took crews from four fire departments about an hour to bring the fire under control. Firefighters say the blaze was caused by a heating lamp set up under a deck to keep the duck and chicken warm.

"That is a serious, serious concern for us: people wanting to keep their pets warm with heating lamps," Froerer said. "I understand the concern for pets, but that's a serious fire hazard."

The home is considered almost a total loss. Officials estimate the damage at $200,000.

— Geoff Liesik