clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

High school basketball: Enterprise overwhelms North Summit in quarter to advance to 2A girls title game

RICHFIELD — As the third quarter wound down, the last thing Enterprise wanted to do is let North Summit hang around. The Braves were not doing a ton offensively, but they made just enough plays to challenge the Wolves and make things feel uncomfortably close.

Experiencing nearly three quarters of close play left Enterprise desperate to break the trend as the fourth quarter approached on the horizon. "We just wanted to come out and put them away," junior forward Jodi Williams said.

The Wolves accomplished that goal with a flourish. They forced the Braves to miss 11 straight baskets in the fourth quarter and took advantage with a game-ending 22-5 run that allowed Enterprise to coast to a 42-26 semifinal victory in the 2A girls basketball tournament at the Sevier Valley Center on Friday afternoon.

A rematch with Region 13 champion Beaver awaits the Wolves in Saturday's 2A title game.

After Kendra Richins made a pair of free throws to put North Summit ahead 21-20 with 2:43 left in the third quarter, Enterprise took over on both ends of the court.

Tressa Lyman helped the Wolves quickly retake the lead when she followed a missed shot with a basket on their next possession. Williams chipped in a layup and a couple of free throws to help push the lead out to 28-22 with 5:34 left in the fourth quarter.

The Braves tried to circumvent the run when McKenzee Morrison stole a pass and fed Richins for a layup to cut the lead to four. But Enterprise put the game away for good by scoring 14 unanswered points — culminating in Megan Clove's free throws with 17.3 seconds left that gave the Wolves a 42-24 lead.

North Summit went nearly 12 1/2 minutes in the second half without a field goal, which allowed Enterprise to run away in the fourth quarter.

Another thing that helped the Wolves ultimately gain an advantage was their success scoring in transition. Enterprise broke North Summit's press throughout the second half, which allowed them to get down the floor and get good looks at the basket.

"We work on our press breakers a lot during the year," Lyman said. "That, I think, was part of it. We were able to move the ball past their press. So they had to hurry and get back, but we were already down there."

A penchant for turnovers made it tough for Enterprise to create space between itself and North Summit. The Wolves clung to a one-point lead, 14-13, at halftime after the two teams combined for 19 first-half turnovers.

Enterprise briefly created some space early in the third quarter after a couple of layups from Lyman and two free throws from Clove made it 20-14. But the Braves ran off seven straight points to take the lead — aided, in part, by a pair of turnovers by the Wolves during that stretch. "We changed our defense at half and tried to get a few easy buckets," Enterprise coach Brian Phelps said. "We got two or three easy buckets right off the bat and that helped us get a little bit of space. But they're a good team and they fought back."