SALT LAKE CITY — Firefighters praised the staff of an area day-care center Friday for their "smooth" evacuation following a gas leak.
The call came in from Kid Care Co., 475 S. Redwood Road, around 11:30 a.m. reporting the leak. It was caused by a tree removal company that hit a gas line in front of the business, said Salt Lake fire spokesman Scott Freitag. He said 92 people were evacuated from the building, 25 of them adults and the rest children ranging in age from infants to 5 or 6 years old. They all went to nearby Edison Elementary School.
"They have an evacuation plan in place already, and they had practiced it, so it went very smoothly," Freitag said.
Firefighters were "quite impressed" that they had not only planned, but carried out such a "well-orchestrated" evacuation that even involved cribs on wheels. Fire and hazardous-materials crews responded to the scene and secured the leak within an hour. Freitag said only one building was evacuated, though crews did close a portion of Redwood Road.
— Emiley Morgan