clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:


Floralie King Millsaps

1925 ~ 2010

Floralie died on February 20, 2010 after a short illness caused by congestive heart failure and pulmonary thrombosis. Floralie was born November 8, 1925 in Flushing New York City, N.Y. to Dr. Willford I. King and Jane P. King. She joined her brother Hugh. She started school in Flushing, later after her family bought property in Douglaston, N.Y., she attended school there. She went to high school at Bayside High School in Bayside New York. As her father was a University Professor, they had long summer vacations during which he lectured at other schools, so the family visited much of the Eastern United States. Floralie picked Middlebury College in Vermont for her higher education. She graduated with a degree in Physiology. After college she worked for a short while in a psychiatric Hospital in Connecticut. She then worked for Georgery and Associates, then Bulova Watch Company in the Personnel Department. In the early 1950s she joined American Smelting and Refining Company in New York City, in Personnel where she interviewed prospective employees for the company's far flung operations.

It was while working there on redoing a brochure on the companies operation in Saudi Arabia that she met Frank Millsaps, who was home on vacation in the early spring of 1952. They were married July 12th, 1952 and returned to Saudi Arabia. Floralie was a hit, many picnics in the desert with the local American and other Arabs.

Her first child, Susanne, was born in New York, as Floralie came home for the occasion. When Frank's contract was up in 1954, they came home to the U.S. Her second child, Linda, was born in Holden, Washington. The third and last child, a son, John was born in Henderson, North Carolina. Floralie was the perfect wife for a man in the mining game, as she adapted to each new place and made a place for herself. Over the years, she has made a home in 20 houses. In Kansas, Colorado, Washington, Arizona, North Carolina, Alabama, California, Tennessee, Arizona and finally Utah. In most places, including Townsville, North Carolina, Ducktown, Tennessee and Park City, Utah, she organized Girl Scouts and served as leader.

Upon moving to Salt Lake City, some 30-odd years ago, she began a career of volunteering. First as a Patient Representative at the University of Utah Hospital, then as a speaker and tour leader for the Utah heritage Foundation, as a docent at the State Historical Society Museum. All the time maintaining an active role in WAAIME, Women's Auxiliary to the American Institute of Mining, Metallurgy and Petroleum Engineers, Inc., of which organization she is an honorary member. Serving as President of the Utah Northern Section on two different periods, serving on the National Board. For the past 12 or 15 years, she has conducted tours for the Newcomers Club of Utah. She has been a student of Utah history for the entire period she lived in Utah, specializing in Mining and Mining communities.

She was preceded in death by her daughter, Susan Millsaps Hogarth (Grant). She is survived by her husband, Frank, daughter, Linda Pullan (Steven), son John, granddaughter, Jessica Millsaps, her foster daughter, Bedi Salmon (Douglas), her two hiking companions Foley and Deela (German Shepherds).

The world will miss her.

A Memorial in her honor will be held on March 2, 2010 from 5:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at Evans and Early Funeral Home located at 574 East 100 South, Salt Lake City, Utah.

In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to the College of Mines at the University of Utah, Attention the Dean. Arrangements entrusted to Evans & Early Mortuary, SLC.