Facebook Twitter

Taylorsville home damaged in $75,000 fire

SHARE Taylorsville home damaged in $75,000 fire

TAYLORSVILLE — A Taylorsville home suffered $75,000 in damage when an air conditioner cover draped over a still-hot snowblower engine caught fire.

Unified Fire Authority Capt. Clint Smith said a homeowner near 3300 West and 5620 South had emptied gas from the snowblower before leaving it running to burn off the remaining gas. The man then placed the cloth cover over the machine before leaving the garage. About 1:30 p.m. Sunday, the cover caught fire and spread to the garage, which contained a vehicle, and to the bedroom above the garage.

Smith said the man called 911 when he heard a popping sound coming from the garage and realized it was on fire.

It took firefighters about 20 minutes to knock down the fire, Smith said. No one was injured.

— Lana Groves