Daughter left alone for 6 days, police say

Daily Record

MOUNT OLIVE, N.J. — A Flanders woman who allegedly left her 12-year-old daughter home alone for nearly a week while she traveled cross-country to marry her boyfriend has been charged with endangering the welfare of a child, authorities said.

Sarah Haines, 31, is accused of leaving her daughter alone from June 3 until this past Wednesday when Mount Olive police received a request from the New Jersey Division of Youth and Family Services to conduct a welfare check on the girl, authorities said.

DYFS officials told police the girl had been left home alone for six days, according to an affidavit filed by Mount Olive detective Luis Sanchez. Haines was a single parent who has sole custody of the girl, authorities said.

Police kill gunman, rescue baby

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — An armed man who held a 1-year-old boy hostage in a barricaded Sacramento apartment complex for several days was fatally shot by police Friday evening, authorities said.

Police used an explosive charge to make a hole and create a line of sight into the apartment where Anthony Alvarez had been barricaded since Wednesday, Sacramento County Sheriff's Department spokesman Tim Curran said.

After the device went off, Alvarez presented himself, engaged the officer and was shot multiple times, Curran said. At least two officers opened fire.

The 26-year-old Alvarez did not fire on police and was pronounced dead at the scene, Curran said. The 1-year-old suffered only an abrasion on his leg and was taken to a hospital as a precaution, Curran said.

The standoff began when authorities attempted to arrest Alvarez Wednesday.

New Orleans police charged in slaying

NEW ORLEANS (AP) — Five current or former New Orleans police officers were charged Friday in the shooting death and burning of a New Orleans man during the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

According to earlier published reports, police were using a school as a temporary headquarters on Sept. 2, 2005, when a group of men drove up looking for help for 31-year-old Henry Glover, who had been shot.

One of the men reportedly later told investigators that Glover was still in the back seat when a police officer drove off with his car. Glover's burned remains later were recovered from the charred car when it turned up on a levee near a police station.

Prosecutors would not provide details Friday of what they believe happened. The case is one of several civil rights investigations involving actions of the New Orleans Police Department after Hurricane Katrina struck Aug. 29, 2005, plunging the city into flooding and civil chaos after levees broke.

Nurses in Minnesota return after strike

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Thousands of nurses in Minnesota were back on the job Friday after a tense return to their 14 hospitals, but neither side appeared any more ready to budge on the staffing issues that fueled the one-day walkout.

The nurses said the strike at 14 Minneapolis-area hospitals was motivated by their concern for patient safety. They have demanded strict nurse-patient ratios, something the hospitals call inflexible and unnecessary and say would increase costs without improving safety.

Nonetheless, the nurses believe they've made their point. The strike by 12,000 nurses forced the hospitals to bring in 2,800 temporary replacement nurses and additional nonunion staff while, in some cases, reducing the number of patients in their hospitals.

John Nemo, a spokesman for the Minnesota Nurses Association, said now it was time for the hospitals to stop "saying they want to negotiate and actually sit down and modify the contract offer our nurses resoundingly rejected nearly a month ago." Hospitals spokeswoman Maureen Schriner said the proposal was "reasonable" and "the union needs to move toward serious negotiations."

N.Y. students protest over transit passes

NEW YORK (AP) — About 1,000 New York City high school students chanted "This is what democracy looks like!" and waved homemade signs and banners Friday as they marched across the Brooklyn Bridge to protest a plan to eliminate their free transit passes.

The students walked out of classrooms all over the city at noon and converged at City Hall Park for a rally with elected officials and transit union members. Then they marched across the bridge for a second rally near the former headquarters of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority in Brooklyn.

More than 500,000 city students receive free or reduced-fare MetroCards to get to and from school.

The transportation agency has proposed ending the free rides as part of its effort to close an $800 million budget gap.

The city contributed $45 million to the program last year while New York State paid only $6 million. Mayor Michael Bloomberg said the protesting students should demand that the state Legislature kick in more.

Mountain goat study halted after deaths

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — Glacier National Park officials have suspended a study of mountain goats after two animals struck by tranquilizer darts died.

Amy Vanderbilt of the National Park Service says a dart punctured the rib cage of one mountain goat Tuesday, causing respiratory arrest. Researchers met with park officials Wednesday and were allowed to resume their study. But another mountain goat died after being darted Thursday.

Vanderbilt says that cause of death is not yet known because the carcass hasn't been recovered.

She says park officials decided to suspend the research permits until they can determine what went wrong.

The three-year study on how climate change affects mountain goats is being conducted by the Wildlife Conservation Society and the University of Montana.Family pleads for return of missing boy