Beckham rejects idea for one more game
LONDON — A person familiar with David Beckham's plans says the former England captain will reject the chance to play in one final match for his country.
The person tells The Associated Press that "it would seem strange to say you are not retiring then to signal your retirement in a benefit match." The person spoke on condition of anonymity on Thursday because Beckham has yet to announce his plans.
Coach Fabio Capello announced Wednesday that the 35-year-old Beckham was too old to continue playing competitively for England, but offered him one last appearance in an exhibition match.
The Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder has said he wouldn't retire from England duty while still playing soccer.
Dolphins' Marshall says NBA is a fallback
DAVIE, Fla. — Miami Dolphins receiver Brandon Marshall says he has a fallback plan if NFL teams lock out players next year: He'll try out for the NBA.
Marshall said he would audition for the Miami Heat or Denver Nuggets as a shooting guard.
"Right now I'm rusty," he said after Dolphins' practice Thursday. "Right now I'm no good. If I try out right now they'll be saying, 'What is this guy thinking?' But after some training I'll be fine. I'll be right back where I used to be."
The 6-foot-4 Marshall lettered in basketball three times at Lake Howell High School in Winter Park, Fla.
LeBron, Wade watch their replacements
NEW YORK — Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul want to defend their Olympic gold medals.
On Thursday night, they dropped by to see the players who can earn them the chance.
The U.S. national team scrimmaged at Radio City Music Hall, where they were followed by a Jay-Z performance. The Blue team won 49-47 in overtime — it was sudden death to prepare the venue for the concert — on Tyson Chandler's dunk.
Also watching from the sideline were LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Amare Stoudemire.
Anthony and Paul both said they plan to play in 2012 in London. The Americans would qualify by winning the world championships in Turkey that start Aug. 28.
Defense lawyer: Adenhart death not murder
SANTA ANA, Calif. — A lawyer says her client did not intend to drive drunk before a crash that killed Los Angeles Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart, and has asked a judge to drop a murder charge.
Attorney Jacqueline Goodman said in a motion Thursday that 23-year-old Andrew Thomas Gallo's designated driver got drunk, so Gallo took the wheel of his minivan instead.
Goodman says Gallo did not have the "implied malice" required for second-degree murder.
Prosecutors say Gallo's intent was irrelevant because he still chose to drive.
A hearing on the motion is scheduled for Friday.
Authorities say Gallo was well over the legal alcohol limit in the crash in Fullerton last year that killed the 22-year-old Adenhart and two others.
Horner has 3-shot lead at Mid-Amateur
Former State Amateur champion Dan Horner takes a three-shot lead into the final round of the Mid-Amateur Tournament today at Hubbard Golf Course at Hill Air Force Base.
Horner had rounds of 67 and 68 Thursday and leads Kirk Siddens by three shots. Spanish Fork's Jordan Rogers and 1998 State Am champ Darrin Overson both stand at 142.
Siddens leads the Masters division (40 and older), six shots ahead of Todd Barker, Jeff Powars and Jay Sheridan.