Marquez signs with Red Bulls
SECAUCUS, N.J. — Mexican national team captain Rafael Marquez signed Monday with Major League Soccer's New York Red Bulls, two days after he was released by Barcelona. The 31-year-old defender joined former Barcelona teammate Thierry Henry on the Red Bulls. Henry made his MLS debut Saturday at Houston, forming an impressive front line with Juan Pablo Angel. "Coming to New York and playing in Major League Soccer was a chance that I could not refuse," Marquez said in a statement released by his new team. Also on Monday, MLS announced that Don Garber has signed a four-year contract as commissioner, running through 2014. Garber is a former NFL executive who in 1999 replaced the MLS's first commissioner, Doug Logan
Revised instant replay system at LLWS
SOUTH WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. — Managers at this month's Little League World Series will be able to challenge certain calls under a revised instant replay system.
The 2-year-old system also will be expanded to include more plays, including force outs, tags on base paths, missed bases and hit batters.
Reviews were previously limited to plays that should have resulted in a dead ball, but were called otherwise by the umpire, such as questionable home runs and other close plays at the outfield fence.
Little League announced the latest guidelines Monday. Umpires will still have the option to call for a replay, though managers will now be allowed to challenge calls or request a replay if umpires don't ask for one.
Managers would be limited to one unsuccessful replay challenge in the first six innings and one unsuccessful challenge in extra innings.
A replay team — an umpire who is not on the field and a Little League official — would review up to 12 camera angles provided by ESPN and decide whether to reverse the call.
Umpires are volunteers and can officiate the World Series just once.
White Sox's Silva placed on disabled list
CHICAGO — The Chicago Cubs placed Carlos Silva on the disabled list for a cardiac evaluation, one day after he left in the first inning of a start against the Colorado Rockies with an abnormal heart rate.
Silva was back in Chicago on Monday after spending the night in a Denver hospital. There is no timetable for his return as he undergoes tests.
"Right now, I'm doing whatever they tell me to do, because I know they're going to do what's best for me," Silva said before the Cubs played the Milwaukee Brewers. "I feel better. I was throwing my bullpen and felt like my heart was beating very fast."
Turco agrees to deal with Blackhawks
CHICAGO — For Marty Turco, the bottom line is to play for a Stanley Cup contender. By agreeing to a one-year deal with the Chicago Blackhawks on Monday, the veteran goaltender made that clear.
Turco, who will replace Stanley Cup hero Antti Niemi as the Blackhawks' top goalie, could have earned more money and gotten a longer contract elsewhere, according to his agent, Kurt Overhardt. The deal is believed to be worth $1.3 million.
"We spoke to four different teams and turned down different opportunities and amounts," Overhardt said. "He turned down teams with higher considerations and longer terms ...
"Marty's priority was joining a team that could win a Stanley Cup, and he chose Chicago."
Blackhawks general manager Stan Bowman said the team expects "immediate" contributions from the 34-year-old Turco, who has played all nine of his NHL seasons with Dallas. The three-time All Star has never advanced past the conference finals in six playoff appearances with the Stars.
"Part of the reason for going there (Chicago) is now you're on a team that has a chance to win every night and won a Stanley Cup last season," Turco said.
The 26-year-old Niemi helped the Blackhawks win the Stanley Cup this past season after earning $826,875 as a rookie. He was awarded a $2.75 million salary for next season by an arbitrator last week, putting the Blackhawks in a tough spot.
Bowman declined to say whether the team could have squeezed Niemi's award under the NHL's salary cap, set at $59.4 million next season.
"The salary cap has been talked about too much," Bowman said.
However, Bowman said he made several attempts to sign Niemi to a multiyear contract before the goalie's case went to arbitration.
"We exhausted all of our options to make this work," Bowman said. "This is the direction that made the most sense. You have to have flexibility within your roster and this was the best way to defend the Cup."
Niemi, a Finn who signed with the Blackhawks in May 2008, becomes an unrestricted free agent. He played all but one period of the Blackhawks' postseason run to the championship, going 16-6 with a 2.63 goals-against average, .910 save percentage and two shutouts.