<strong>Mayor Michael Nutter would not specify what actions officials would take if protesters did not remove the approximately 200 tents and other items.</strong>

PHILADELPHIA — The mayor on Friday notified members of Occupy Philadelphia that they have 48 hours to dismantle their tent encampment at City Hall to make way for a long-planned $50 million renovation project.

Mayor Michael Nutter would not specify what actions officials would take if protesters did not remove the approximately 200 tents and other items from Dilworth Plaza by 5 p.m. Sunday.

"Obviously I'm hopeful that everyone will take this advice ... to gather their belongings," Nutter said at a news conference. "I'm not going to try to predict what's going to happen on Sunday at 5 p.m."

On Friday evening, an unhappy crowd gathered and chanted opposition as police began distributing the eviction notices. Occupy member Daniel Brouse, of West Chester, said he expects problems at the moving deadline.

"Some of these people are looking for trouble, so they'll probably find it," he said.

One subset of protesters has city permission to continue demonstrating across the street beginning at 9 a.m. Monday. The permit for Thomas Paine Plaza, outside the Municipal Services Building, stipulates no overnight camping and activities only between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.

Member Randy Quinn said the Occupy Philadelphia faction known as Reasonable Solutions agreed to the conditions as a way of entering a new phase of the movement, which supporters say fights economic injustice and corporate influence on government.

"We are at this point declaring victory," Quinn said. "We have ... shown our ability here in Philadelphia and in other places around the world to peaceably assemble, to have our free speech heard and to show that we are a force to be reckoned with."

Occupy Philadelphia set up camp at Dilworth Plaza on Oct. 6 with the city's blessing, though participants were told then that they would have to move once contracts and permits were awarded for the site's rehabilitation.

Nutter estimated the 27-month project will create 1,000 jobs. He said the final permits were granted Friday.

The Occupy encampment, at its height, had about 350 tents; protesters held frequent, police-escorted marches through the city. The local movement has been largely peaceful, with none of the violent confrontations with police that have marred protests in cities including Oakland, Calif.

But sanitation, graffiti and fire safety issues have created problems, and Quinn said a surprise October snowstorm helped some members realize that a winter occupation might not be sustainable. The Reasonable Solutions faction is even searching for office space to continue its work, he said.

"We need to get back to the national conversation," Quinn said.

Occupy Philadelphia's governing body, the General Assembly, voted to move to Thomas Paine Plaza after meeting with union leaders who stressed the jobs being created by the reconstruction project. But the vote came before the city banned camping at the new site.

The permit for Thomas Paine Plaza, which features a Jacques Lipchitz sculpture called "Government of the People," must be renewed every 30 days.