Facebook Twitter



Albert Rees ThomasTogether AgainAlbert Rees Thomas, 96, passed away peacefully at the Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in Provo, Utah, on Saturday, November 3, 2012, following a short illness. He was born on August 11, 1916, in Provo Bench (now Orem), Utah to Daniel Phillips and Mary Ellen Rees Thomas, seventh of ten children. While growing up, he worked on the family fruit farm in Orem and graduated in 1934 from Lincoln High School in Orem. In 1934 he began work in the Civilian Conservation Corps building roads and campgrounds in the Uinta Mountains north of Vernal, Utah. Then he moved to Los Angeles to begin working for his older brother Laurence as a sheet metal mechanic. While living in Los Angeles he met his future wife Betty Adams. Then, early in 1942 after World War II broke out, he entered training as a B-17 navigator and was commissioned a second lieutenant in the Army Air Corps. It was during this time that Albert and Betty were married in Monroe, Louisiana, on Oct. 17, 1942.After the War, they made their home in Los Angeles, California, where three of their four sons were born. In 1950 they moved to Orem, Utah, where Albert worked in a sheet metal shop with his brother George, and he and Betty and the boys cared for the family fruit farm. Their fourth son was born in Utah. For many years Albert worked hard in the sheet metal business by day and on the fruit farm in the afternoons and evenings. After his brother George passed away in 1982, Albert set up his own sheet metal shop and continued working there into his 90's. In September, 1961, Albert was baptized a member of the LDS Church, and in October, 1962, he and Betty and their sons were sealed in the Manti LDS Temple. They remained faithful to each other and their church; Betty passed away in August, 2012; in October she and Albert would have celebrated their 70th wedding anniversary. To the very end of his life he gave long and faithful service in church callings. In 1980-1981, Albert and Betty served a full-time LDS mission in Tonga.While never having much time or resources for travel and recreation, Albert and Betty were both avid travelers, and they especially enjoyed excursions with their siblings and their spouses and with their sons. Albert did not have opportunity for higher education, but he was a bright and eager student in many settings, including evening classes to qualify as a sheet metal mechanic and his training as a bomber navigator. Even during the years of heavy work pressures he was an enthusiastic reader and student of many subjects.Albert and Betty are survived by their four sons: David (Paula), Steven (Penny), James (Maria), all of Orem, and Dan (Micki), of American Fork. Albert was the last survivor of his siblings. He was a direct participant in many of the grand events in American history during the 20th century and devoted his life to making a comfortable life for his family. Albert and Betty have 31 grandchildren and 60 great grandchildren.Funeral services will be held on Saturday, November 10, 2012, beginning at 10 a.m. at the Cherry Hill LDS Stake Center, 1700 S. 400 E., in Orem, Utah. Before the funeral, viewings will be held from 6-8 p.m. on Friday, November 9, 2012, at the Sundberg-Olpin Mortuary, 495 South State Street in Orem, and preceding the funeral, from 8:45-9:45 on Saturday, November 10, 2012 at the Cherry Hill LDS Stake Center. Interment will be in the Provo City Cemetery.