clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Judge dismisses lawsuit over Grammy cuts

FILE - In this Feb. 10, 2008 file photo, jazz musician Bobby Sanabria arrives at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles. A lawsuit filed against the Recording Academy over its decision to trim the Grammy categories from 109 to 78 has been dismissed
FILE - In this Feb. 10, 2008 file photo, jazz musician Bobby Sanabria arrives at the 50th Annual Grammy Awards in Los Angeles. A lawsuit filed against the Recording Academy over its decision to trim the Grammy categories from 109 to 78 has been dismissed by a judge. The motion last week by New York State Supreme Court Justice Jeffrey Oing granted the academy's motion to reject a lawsuit brought by Grammy-nominated jazz musician Bobby Sanabria and three others. Sanabria had been the loudest opponent of the academy's decision last year to reduce its categories and fold some genres into larger fields.
Chris Pizzello, file, Associated Press

NEW YORK — A lawsuit filed against the Recording Academy over its decision to trim the Grammy Award categories from 109 to 78 has been dismissed by a judge in New York.

The motion last week by New York State Supreme Court Justice Jeffrey Oing granted the Academy's motion to reject a lawsuit brought by Grammy-nominated jazz musician Bobby Sanabria and three others. Sanabria had been the loudest opponent of the Academy's decision last year to reduce its categories and fold some genres into larger fields.

Academy President and CEO Neil Portnow says he's gratified by the court's decision.

Sanabria says he's disappointed and he held out the possibility of an appeal.