Facebook Twitter

Investigator visits fatal Utah tanker crash site

SHARE Investigator visits fatal Utah tanker crash site

SALT LAKE CITY — A federal investigator on Tuesday arrived at the scene of a deadly air tanker crash in Utah and began scouring the 600-yard debris field for clues about why the plane went down while battling a wildfire.

The National Transportation Safety Board investigator was expected to spend much of the day at the remote site in a rocky canyon in southwestern Utah, NTSB spokesman Nicholas Worrell said.

Meanwhile, U.S. Forest Chief Tom Tidwell on Tuesday surveyed the burn scar being left by a massive blaze in southwestern New Mexico that has developed into the largest wildfire in the country. He took an aerial tour of the fire, which has scorched more than 404 square miles since being sparked by lightning about three weeks ago.

Tidwell was expected to discuss Utah's fatal air tanker crash during a news conference later in the day at the U.S. Forest Service's regional headquarters in Albuquerque, N.M.

The Lockheed P2V crashed Sunday, killing two pilots — the same day another firefighting plane of the same vintage was forced to make a crash landing at Nevada's Minden-Tahoe Airport.

Worrell said another NTSB investigator was inspecting that P2V's landing gear. A videotape shows the plane dropping to its belly and sliding across a runway. No one was hurt.

NTSB investigator Van McKenny said authorities analyzing the Utah crash will consider all potential causes, including weather, mechanical failure and pilot error.

"It will all really depend on what we see, evidence on the ground," he said.

The tanker went down while battling a lightning-caused wildfire that jumped the Nevada border about 150 miles northeast of Las Vegas. Iron County Sheriff Mark Gower says it appeared a wing tip hit the ground in a rocky canyon. The plane practically disintegrated, killing both pilots aboard.

Firefighters said they didn't expect full containment of the 8,000-acre blaze burning over rolling hills of pine, juniper and cheat grass until Sunday.

The tanker was owned by Neptune Aviation Services of Missoula, Mont. It was built in 1962, according to federal aviation records, but had been modified to fight fires and was among only a handful of air tankers available nationwide. The other P2V was owned by Minden Air Corp. in Minden, Nev.

Neptune released a statement Monday that said it wouldn't comment on accident specifics, but noted the aircraft "made contact with the ground while flying in the active fire drop zone."

The company temporarily grounded its fleet to debrief crewmembers and mechanics, but all of its air tankers have been returned to duty, the statement said.

Authorities identified the pilots as Todd Neal Tompkins and Ronnie Edwin Chambless, both of Boise, Idaho.

Tompkins' wife, Cassandra Cannon, said her husband had flown air tankers for 17 years and believed the work he did was meaningful and affected the safety of others. She said Tompkins was dispatched to the wildfire Sunday and immediately began flyovers.

In New Mexico, firefighters were building fire lines and conducting more burnout operations to keep the giant Whitewater-Baldy fire from making any aggressive runs along its boundaries.

"We still have active fire within the perimeter, but they're a little more comfortable that they've got a handle on it," fire information officer Gerry Perry said. "That doesn't mean the fire is over, but things are looking better."

The blaze became the largest in recorded New Mexico history after making daily runs across tens of thousands of acres in strong winds.

In Colorado, 13 homes have been evacuated and residents of 53 other houses have been warned to be ready to leave as crews battle a 227-acre wildfire northwest of Fort Collins.

A specialized firefighting crew, firefighters from Greeley and metro Denver, and inmates from Canon City battled the blaze Tuesday. A small air tanker and two helicopters also were helping fight the fire.

Associated Press writer Matt Volz in Helena, Mont., Jeff Barnard in Grants Pass, Ore., and Todd Dvorak in Boise, Idaho, contributed to this report. Sonner reported from Reno, Nev.