clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Police say man found in Salt Lake City died of hypothermia

Police say a man whose body was found Tuesday in Memory Grove died of hypothermia.
Police say a man whose body was found Tuesday in Memory Grove died of hypothermia.

SALT LAKE CITY — Police say a man whose body was found in Memory Grove died of hypothermia.

Reed Brock Karren, 39, was found dead by someone who was walking a dog in Memory Grove Park, 300 N. Canyon Road (130 East), about 5:20 p.m. Monday. Investigators originally said they believed Karren may have been dead for several hours before his body was discovered.

Salt Lake City police detective Rick Wall said Karren was not properly dressed for any kind of extended walk or hike in Memory Grove, and he was not homeless.

Police, however, could not say Wednesday why Karren was out in the bitter cold temperatures unprepared or what he was doing in the park. Police also did not know when he may have died.

Utah court records show Karren had a long history of arrests and convictions in various cases for charges such as intoxication, theft and drug-related crimes. It was unknown if drugs or alcohol played a factor in Karren's death.

Another man was found dead Wednesday near a Zions Bank parking lot in South Salt Lake.

South Salt Lake police officer Gary Keller said officials believe frigid overnight temperatures are to blame for his death as well.

The 22-year-old man was seen by witnesses between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. and appeared to be intoxicated.

The man was found about 12:30 p.m. near a retaining wall just outside the parking lot of Zions Bank, 3838 S. 700 East. Keller said police aren't sure how the man came to be at that location.

The man was wearing a parka and thermals, Keller said. The man was not considered to be homeless, and police are working to notify family before releasing his name.

Also, the death of another man found in a car Monday was still under investigation. The man was found in a running vehicle at a salvage yard where he worked. Police believe he may have been living in the car but aren't sure how he died.

— Pat Reavy