Facebook Twitter

Bruins turn tables on Blackhawks in Game 2 of Stanley Cup Final

SHARE Bruins turn tables on Blackhawks in Game 2 of Stanley Cup Final

In Game 1 of the Stanley Cup Final, the failure of Boston's Torey Krug to clear the puck out of his zone led to Chicago's third-period comeback and eventual triple-overtime victory.

In Game 2, the tables were turned.

In overtime, Blackhawk forward Brandon Bollig had a chance to clear the puck to the neutral zone, but lost control off the pressure of Adam McQuaid, which led to Daniel Paille's game-winning goal 13:48 into the extra session, lifting the Bruins to a 2-1 win and evening the series.

Game 2 was a lot shorter than the opener, but it didn't lack drama. It started out as a dominating effort by the home team, but by the end, the Bruins were controlling play up and down the ice.

In the first period, the ice seemed completely tilted toward Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask. After the opening 20 minutes, the Blackhawks were outshooting the B's 19-4.

But Boston managed to only surrender one goal to Patrick Sharp after a mad scramble in front of the goal provided Sharp with an open net.

"If it wasn't for Tuukka it would've been a lot worse," Bruin forward Chris Kelly told reporters after the game.

By the end of the game, the Hawks only had six more shots than Boston as the B's seemed to find their legs after coming out flat following Wednesday's triple-overtime thriller.

In the overtime period, Bollig had the puck stripped by McQuaid, who fired it to Tyler Seguin just above the hash marks. Seguin fed Paille who rang it off the pipe and past Chicago netminder Corey Crawford.

"After it went off the post, we were all excited. We all jumped up," Bruin forward Nathan Horton told NBC's Pierre McGuire after the game. "It's a great feeling."

Horton, who missed the second and third overtimes of Game 1 with an upper-body injury, returned for Game 2 and was a factor at both ends of the ice.

"It's the Stanley Cup playoffs. If you can be in there, you're going to be in there," Horton said. "There's no way I'm coming out. I'm just happy to be a part of it. We got a great team and a great bunch of guys."

After Sharp's goal 11:22 into the first period, Chicago couldn't beat Rask for the rest of the night. In fact, the Blackhawks only had 15 shots the rest of the game.

Chicago's Marian Hossa slipped the puck over the goal line just over a minute after Sharp scored, but referee Wes McCauley had blown the play dead just prior to it crossing the line, and he ruled no goal.

"We were in survival mode there for a bit. It looked like they had more guys out there than we did," Rask told reporters.

Kelly was able to tie the game at the 14:58 mark of the second period off a rebound from a shot by Paille.

Saturday's victory was the Bruins' fifth win in seven OT games this postseason, and it's only the second OT loss in six for the Hawks.

Boston 41-year-old Jaromir Jagr almost ended it before Paille, as his snipe hit the crossbar just 1:28 into the extra session.

"After the first period, we had a bit of a chat and we got ourselves going," Bruins coach Claude Julien told reporters. "We got our feet moving to start and then the rest followed and eventually just got better.”

Game 3 is Monday in Boston.

Michael Smith is an intern in the news section of DeseretNews.com. A 2013 graduate of the University of Utah, he will be attending Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism in the fall.