clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Syracuse woman, 2 young daughters dead in apparent double murder-suicide

SYRACUSE — Police believe a mother killed her two young daughters inside their home Tuesday before taking her own life.

Syracuse police officer Erin Behm confirmed Wednesday that Kyler Ramsdell-Oliva, 32, Kenadee Oliva, 13, and Isabella Oliva, 7, were shot. Their bodies were taken to the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office for further tests.

On Ramsdell-Oliva's Facebook page, several people wrote tributes to her Wednesday.

"My beautiful girl, I am heartbroken. … I have loved you like my daughter since you were 18. When I was talking to you, I thought it was going to be OK. A piece of my heart has gone with you and the girls. I love you my dearest one," wrote one woman.

Another wrote, "I love you, Kyler. And your two beautiful daughters. You have been like a sister to me with all we have gone through together. Love you Kenadee and Bella."

Ramsdell-Oliva had updated her Facebook profile picture Monday. It was a picture of her and her daughters sitting together, smiling and posing for the camera.

A family member wrote on her Facebook wall, "May I please ask everyone to have my family in their prayers. We have lost three amazing beautiful girls. Now they are in God's hands. Way too soon, but we love you and will always miss you. I carry you in my heart forever!"

Police were called to Ramsdell-Oliva's house, 2133 W. 1175 South, about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday. The original 911 call was made by a person on a cellphone, Behm said. Police had not released the identity of that person as of Wednesday morning.

The woman and her daughters had not lived in the house very long. Both girls were registered to go to school in the Davis District on Jan. 6, according to district officials.

Kenadee, who was an eighth-grader at Syracuse Junior High School, had only been to school one day since moving into the area. Isabella, who was in first grade at Syracuse Elementary School, had been attending classes for about a week.

Police and neighbors say the victims also lived with Ramsdell-Oliva's fiancé when they moved into their Syracuse house. About 6 p.m. Monday, however, police were called to keep the peace as the fiance collected some of his possessions from the house and moved out, Behm said.

A neighbor said he saw a man who appeared to be distraught outside the home with a U-Haul about 3 p.m. Tuesday.

Another neighbor reported hearing a gunshot Tuesday night but thought it came from hunters.

Syracuse police have interviewed several people, including family members and the fiancé.

"It's considered a murder-suicide, so there are no suspects at large. We've spoken to the fiancé (and) we've spoken to the family. … And that's when we came to the conclusion it was a murder-suicide," Behm said.

The investigation was still active Wednesday, she said, and additional details would be released later.

Contributing: Andrew Adams, Haley Smith

Email:, Twitter: DNewsCrimeTeam