Facebook Twitter

High school football: West Side outlasts Rich, 8-6, in overtime

SHARE High school football: West Side outlasts Rich, 8-6, in overtime

For the second week in a row the Rich High Rebel football team found itself in overtime, and for the second time in a row the Rebels lost — this time to West Side, Idaho, 8-6, Friday night.

In overtime, Rich's Koy Brown found receiver Wyatt Muirbrook in the corner of the end zone to give the Rebels the 6-0 lead.

The Pirates answered with a touchdown when Peyton Brown — Koy Brown's cousin — connected with Wyatt Beckstead on a 4th-and-4 to tie the game at 6-6. It was only the third pass completion of the game for the Pirates.

Peyton Brown later connected with Wyatt Bowles on the two-point conversion to lift the Pirates to the two-point victory.

Koy finished the game 11-of-18 for 126 yards and a touchdown and an interception for the Rebels, who are coach by Koy's dad, Ashley Brown. Peyton, whose dad, Tyler Brown, is the defensive coordinator for the Pirates, completed 4-of-11 passes with a touchdown.

The 8-6 overtime contest was just the opposite of last year's 41-28 contest between the two teams last year.

In a scoreless game it was hard to find a lot of spectacular plays, but there were key opportunities missed on both sides of the ball.

The Pirates escaped a possible dangerous situation on the first drive of the game. When punting from its own 20-yard line the snap bounced between Bowles' legs but he was able to recover the ball and get a punt off from the 2-yard line.

Koy Brown found running back Joseph Leifson with a 30-yard completion early in the second quarter that put the Rebels inside the 20-yard line, but they turned the ball over on downs.

The Pirates returned the favor after making it to the Rebel 28-yard line. Rich moved the ball up field but Kaden Bingham intercepted a Koy Brown pass on his own 5-yard line to keep the game scoreless at halftime.

The Pirates were able to achieve five first downs in the first half and the Rebels tallied four.

The first scoring opportunity of the second half came for the Rebels who moved the ball down to the Pirate 10-yard line at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Facing a 4th-and-5 the offense opted to pass on a field-goal attempt and went to the air. It appeared that Muirbrook had made the catch at the 5-yard line but the pass was ruled incomplete.

The momentum appeared to shift as the Pirates made the big defense stop. The offense marched from the 10-yard line into Rebel territory but were forced to punt as time ran down on the game clock.

The Rebels were led on the ground by Cache Sabey who had 48 yards on 13 carries. Jantz Ebanes led the Pirates on the ground with over 50 yards.

The Rebels (0-2) will again travel to Idaho next week to visit the Soda Springs Cardinals. West Side will play West Jefferson for homecoming.