clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Police: Man wanted for questioning in Orem homicide kills himself in Eagle Mountain standoff

EAGLE MOUNTAIN — A man wanted for questioning in an Orem homicide investigation killed himself in a standoff with police Monday in the parking lot of The Ranches Golf Club, officials said.

The man, identified as David Driscoll, 37, of Eagle Mountain, was sought by police in connection with the shooting death of his 27-year-old girlfriend at Cherry Hill Apartments in Orem, said Orem Police Lt. Craig Martinez.

The two-hour standoff with Utah County Metro SWAT officers ended when Driscoll took his own life around 5:20 p.m., according to Utah County Sheriff's Sgt. Spencer Cannon, who added that no officers fired shots.

Driscoll shot and killed himself shortly after two police cars approached him where he was barricaded inside his vehicle to shine their headlights on him and keep him in sight as the sun went down, Cannon said.

"We were concerned that there may be additional weapons in the vehicle, possibly even explosives," he said, adding that Driscoll had an extensive military history. "Because of that, we wanted to make the area so it was light and (so that) he didn’t have a tactical advantage because of the darkness."

Orem police received a call shortly before 2 p.m. asking for officers to conduct a welfare check on Brittany Engstrom at the apartment complex, 1745 S. 400 East.

Officers entered Engstrom's unlocked apartment to find her dead with multiple gunshot wounds, Martinez said. He confirmed that Driscoll was Engstrom's boyfriend.

Police reportedly visited the same apartment two other times earlier Monday, beginning around 10 a.m., after getting calls about a possible argument there. Both times, however, the front door was locked and the apartment was quiet.

The lieutenant said he's unsure what events may have led to Engstrom's death.

"We’re still at the infant stages of this investigation," Martinez said.

Officers reportedly interviewed Engstrom's neighbors Monday afternoon. Police were not looking for anyone else in the case, according to Martinez.

Investigators found Driscoll in the parking lot of The Ranches Golf Club after pinging the location of his cellphone. He apparently also told a family member he would surrender to sheriff's deputies in Eagle Mountain.

Driscoll didn't make any threats to officers but he said he would kill himself, Cannon said. Driscoll reportedly spoke with a police negotiator for about two hours and said multiple times that he planned to surrender. He also spoke over the phone with a family member during the standoff, according to Cannon.

Residents between Clubhouse Lane and Mt. Airey Drive were asked to stay in their homes during their ordeal.

Concerned that Driscoll may have had explosives, a sheriff's office bomb squad continued to examine the parking lot Monday evening. The man's car had not been cleared as of 8 p.m.

Driscoll was scheduled to attend a preliminary court hearing Tuesday on four felony charges of aggravated sexual abuse of a child, Orem police said on Twitter. He was charged in September in that case.

Driscoll has no other significant criminal history in Utah, according to court records.

Contributing: Brianna Bodily, Andrew Adams


Twitter: benlockhartnews