clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Murray home destroyed, pets killed in explosion and house fire

A home was destroyed and three pets died in an explosion and house fire Monday night.
A home was destroyed and three pets died in an explosion and house fire Monday night.
Mike Radice

MURRAY — A home was destroyed and three pets died in an explosion and house fire Monday night.

The homeowner, a massage therapist, was cooking up massage oils that "boiled over and exploded," Murray Deputy Fire Marshal Pat Killion said. The blast blew out the kitchen windows and set the house ablaze.

"It's total destruction," Killion said.

The home at 377 E. Winchester St. is a total loss.

The explosion happened when the woman had left the stove and was in another area of the house, saving her from injury. The family escaped the house unharmed, but three pets were trapped inside and died, Killion said.

Killion said firefighters are unsure what was in the massage oils that caused them to explode.

The fire burned out quickly, Killion said. Crews put out spot fires and doused hot spots when they arrived.

The Utah Department of Transportation shut down Winchester Street by the home as crews responded to the fire. The road was expected to reopen by 10 p.m.

— McKenzie Romero