clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Suicidal student had planned stabbing spree, affidavit says

FILE - Parents and students hug as they reunite outside Mountain View High School in Orem on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016, following a stabbing at the school.
FILE - Parents and students hug as they reunite outside Mountain View High School in Orem on Tuesday, Nov. 15, 2016, following a stabbing at the school.
Ravell Call, Deseret News

OREM — A Mountain View High School student charged with attacking five of his classmates in a boys locker room had been having suicidal thoughts for some time, according to a newly unsealed search warrant affidavit.

The boy, who had just turned 16, went to Mountain View High School on Nov. 15 with five knives and a wooden stick, and randomly stabbed or cut four students in the boys locker room and hit a fifth over the head with a bo staff, according to police. He was cornered by a teacher and a school resource officer and stabbed himself before an officer deployed a Taser and took him into custody.

None of the injuries were life-threatening.

The 16-year-old, whom the Deseret News has chosen not to identify at this time, is charged in juvenile court with five counts of attempted murder, a first-degree felony, and other charges.

A judge ordered the boy to undergo a competency evaluation. His next hearing is scheduled for Feb. 14.

Investigators said the teenager went to his P.E. class that morning and appeared to have chosen the five victims at random. There were "no warning signs or precursor behaviors from (the boy) to explain such actions," the affidavit filed in 4th District Court states.

The boy "was reported to (be) 'elated' as he was attacking different students with the knife," the warrant states.

Police officers spoke with the boy at the hospital after the incident.

"(He) stated he has had suicidal and harmful thoughts since a very young age. (He) planned this attack and implemented it several days ago," according to the warrant. "(The boy) told detectives he used his mother's MacBook, his iPad, and his cellphone to look at YouTube and communicate his plan. … (The boy) also stated he left a suicide note in his room for his parents to find."

The warrant does not explain what the boy may have meant by "communicate his plan" or if he had shared his plan with anyone else.

Investigators served a search warrant on the boy's Orem home to collect "any electronic items that could transmit, store, or receive information to explain a plan or plot to harm others in his school," the warrant states.

Investigators said it could take up to six weeks to go through the boy's electronic devices.

In addition to the attempted murder charges, the boy was also charged in juvenile court with failing to stop at the command of a law enforcer and possession of a dangerous weapon with intent to assault, both class A misdemeanors.

The school's principal has said the student victims have told him they are not angry at the boy accused of attacking them, understanding that he needs help. The boy's parents released a statement apologizing for their son's actions, saying they are at a loss to explain why it happened.