clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Charges: Sandy man kidnapped, attacked girlfriend when she tried to leave


SALT LAKE CITY — Charges were filed Monday against a Sandy man who allegedly set up his home to force his girlfriend to stay inside and to monitor all of her activities, then attacked her when she said she was leaving him.

Jared Edward McGrath, 38, is charged in 3rd District Court with two counts of aggravated kidnapping, a first-degree felony, and aggravated assault, a second-degree felony.

McGrath allegedly devised a system to keep his girlfriend inside the home, including alarmed windows, security cameras, combination locks attached to the inside of entrances and a wired-shut sliding glass door.

For a matter of weeks earlier this year, "McGrath would sleep by the front door and took her clothes from her and would restrain her using rope, duct tape, or handcuffs to prevent her from leaving because he thought she was cheating on him," charging documents allege.

McGrath's girlfriend was able to escape from him shortly after he attacked her last month, according to police. The woman told McGrath on Feb. 26 that she was "leaving him to enter rehab," the charges state.

McGrath allegedly told the woman she couldn't leave because she owed him $70,000 in drugs or cash. "McGrath grabbed two machetes and told her she had 10 minutes to get drugs or he was going to torture and kill her," the charges state.

The man allegedly used the flat side of one of the machetes to hit the woman's head. McGrath later held the woman while holding a steak knife and she suffered a cut to her finger while trying to separate him from the weapon, according to the charges.

The woman suffered injuries to her arm, knee, head and face, police said.

McGrath made his girlfriend accompany him to a nearby McDonalds, where he planned to buy drugs in the parking lot, according to his charges. The woman escaped the vehicle, "went inside the McDonalds and hid behind the counter while employees called police," the charges state.

McGrath's criminal history in Utah is substantial, court records show. He has been convicted multiple times each of forgery, attempted forgery, theft by deception, theft by receiving stolen property, theft, aggravated assault with deadly weapon or force, assault, and damage or interruption of a communication device.

McGrath has also previously been convicted of burglary, attempted theft, unlawful use of a financial transaction card, driving on a revoked license, intoxication, unlawful detention, giving false information to a law enforcement officer, reckless driving and making a threat against life or property, according to court records.

McGrath was charged in December with drug possession, use or possession of drug paraphernalia, and driving on a revoked license. That case against him is still active.

McGrath is currently out of custody, state jail records show. A warrant was issued Monday for his arrest.


Twitter: benlockhartnews