SALT LAKE CITY — If you'd like to give fishing a try — but don't have a fishing license — grab a fishing pole and head to the nearest fishing water on June 11.
“Fishing is a great way to escape the hectic pace of life, and relax," Drew Cushing, aquatic section chief for the Division of Wildlife Resources, said in a statement. "It's a fun activity, and it's probably closer to your home than you think."
While licenses aren’t needed on June 11, all of the other rules in the free 2016 Utah Fishing Guidebook will still be in effect. The guidebook can be downloaded at wildlife.utah.gov/utah-fishing-guidebook.html.
In addition, several free fishing events will be held on Free Fishing Day at the following locations.
• The Bear River Celebration and Free Fishing Day will be held from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Skylar’s Pond, located in Logan’s Willow Park, 450 W. 700 South. Fishing equipment will be available to check out and use, and law enforcement officers will be available to help first-time anglers.
• Anglers can "Fish With a Cop" from 9–11 a.m. at Bountiful Pond, located west of Legacy Highway in Bountiful. DWR conservation officers and Woods Cross police will be on hand at the free event. Bait will be provided, and a limited number of rods and reels will be available for use.
• Free Fishing Day events, for anglers of all ages, will be held at Moose Ponds in Daggett County, from 9 a.m. to noon, and Lower Stillwater Ponds on Rock Creek in Duchesne County, from 9 a.m. to noon.
• A free event will be held from 8–11 a.m. at the Knight-Ideal Community Fishing Pond, 850 E. 300 South, Wellington. The DWR will place additional fish in the pond before the event
• DWR personnel and volunteers will be on hand to help youngsters fish and to help them keep their hooks baited from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Little Reservoir located 6 miles up Beaver Canyon. Prizes will be offered, and some fishing equipment will be available to check out and use.
• Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife is co-sponsoring an event from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Leigh Hill Reservoir in Cedar City. To reach the reservoir, follow Royal Hunt Drive to the top of Leigh Hill. Prizes will be offered and some fishing equipment will be available to check out and use.
• Anglers from Southern Utah Anglers and additional volunteers will also be on hand at Hurricane’s Grandpa's Pond from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
To reach the pond, follow State Street to the west of town, and then turn north on 3700 West. Continue north on 3700 West until the pavement ends. Prizes will be offered and some fishing equipment will be available to check out and use.
For more information, log on to wildlife.utah.gov/wildlife-news/1859-fish-for-free-on-june-11-2016.html.