clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Man suffers burns in costly West Valley fire caused by barbecue grill

One man suffered minor burns Tuesday in a costly house fire ignited by a barbecue grill, authorities said.
One man suffered minor burns Tuesday in a costly house fire ignited by a barbecue grill, authorities said.
Adobe stock photo

WEST VALLEY CITY — One man suffered minor burns Tuesday in a costly house fire ignited by a barbecue grill, authorities said.

The man was burned on his fingertips and right leg, and his hair was also singed after he tried to put out the fire on the grill, which at one point tipped over, said West Valley City Fire Battalion Chief Jeff Fox. The man was taken to a hospital with injuries that were not life-threatening.

The fire, which ignited around 6 p.m. at 3914 S. Cliffhaven Lane, spread to the home and burned through the entire attic, causing between $150,000 and $200,000 in damage, Fox said. The main level of the home did not sustain fire damage.

Firefighters had to knock down a Sheetrock ceiling inside the home to get to the fire, according to Fox. It took about 20 minutes to douse the fire, he said.

Another person was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.