OGDEN — A woman remained hospitalized in critical condition Monday with burns sustained in a house fire that claimed the life of her 4-year-old son.
Ryder Gaspa died Sunday at a local hospital shortly after emergency crews pulled him from his burning house. His mother, Kimberly Gaspa, 28, of Ogden, was transported to the hospital with "severe burns," according to Ogden police.
About 12:30 a.m. Sunday, police and firefighters were called to 225 29th St. on a report of a house fire. Responding officers evacuated the home but learned that two people were still inside. Both Gaspa and her son were found unconscious in the basement.
Ryder is believed to have died of smoke and soot inhalation, police said.
Investigators believe the boy was playing with a butane torch and accidentally ignited a mattress in the basement apartment. Damage was estimated at $30,000.
Ogden Police Lt. Nate Cline said investigators don't believe the fire is suspicious. Cline said it is unknown why Gaspa and her son were unable to escape the fire.
"We’re probably not going to know until conversations can be had with the mom," he said.
Residents in the upstairs apartment reported the fire and escaped safely, Cline said.