Facebook Twitter

Springville survives Lehi’s frantic comeback to win 40-34 in double OT

SHARE Springville survives Lehi’s frantic comeback to win 40-34 in double OT


SPRINGVILLE — Springville survived a furious rally by Lehi late in the fourth quarter to reach overtime where the Red Devils prevailed 40-34 Friday night.

With 5:04 remaining in the game, Springville’s Payton Kelepolo ran into the end zone from eight yards out to push the Red Devils’ lead to 27-6, which seemed insurmountable.

Lehi responded with a touchdown just over a minute later when Lincoln Bunker scored from the nine. Bunker’s extra point pulled the Pioneers within two scores at 27-13 with 3:47 on the clock.

On the ensuing kickoff, Lehi successfully attempted an onside kick, which the Pioneers recovered at the Springville 46. A few plays later, Lehi quarterback Cam Cooper found Kade Moore in the end zone from nine yards out to close the gap to 27-20 with 3:07 remaining.

The luck continued for the Pioneers on the next kickoff, which was also an onside kick. Lehi recovered on its own 48. Cooper marched the Pioneers downfield, connecting with Moore, Grayden Hadfield, and Carson Terrell. He finally found Dallin Holker for the touchdown from seven yards out to knot the game at 27 with 1:22 left to play.

If you do the math, that’s three unanswered Lehi touchdowns in two minutes and 25 seconds.

Both teams had chances in the final 1:22, but neither could score.

On the first play of the first overtime, Jantsen Thorpe found Jaxon Child near the sideline for a 25-yard touchdown to put the Red Devils back in front 34-27.

Lehi responded with a 21-yard pass from Cooper to Moore, which Moore caught at the one despite pass interference. Cooper pushed it in from there to tie the game again at 34.

Lehi got the ball first in the second overtime and failed to score.

Springville gained the momentum back by driving the ball down to the one, where Thorpe ran it in for the game-winning touchdown.

In the first half, Springville jumped out in front first on a 72-yard touchdown pass to Bennet Hullinger from Thorpe.

Lehi tied the game 6-6 on another Cooper touchdown pass to Moore from 18 yards out. That was all the scoring in the first half.

Springville’s Brennen Rymer returned the opening kickoff of the second half 80 yards for a touchdown and a 13-6 Red Devil lead.

The Red Devils scored twice more before the Pioneers' frantic comeback. Ty Eriksson had an 11-yard touchdown run prior to Kelepolo’s run that pushed the lead to 27-6.

Cooper threw for three touchdowns and ran for another, while Thorpe threw for two and ran for one.

Springville improves to 2-0 on the young season while Lehi falls to 1-1.

Drew Daniels is a Utah County native and has covered local sporting events for several news organizations including the Deseret News since 1988.