CLINTON — A Clinton family of seven is safe after a fire broke out in their garage late Saturday night and spread to the home, causing extensive damage.
The family's pet, however, died in the blaze.
According to Clinton Fire Chief David Olsen, crews were called to the scene at 1000 West and 2400 North around 11:15 p.m. to find the garage fully engulfed, with flames burning the exterior walls of the home. The family of two adults and five children had already evacuated.
It took crews from Clinton, Syracuse and North Davis about 30 minutes to knock down the fire, Olsen said.
"We were able to salvage some of their Christmas gifts," he said, adding it is especially hard to see people lose their homes around the holiday.
The fire, which caused more than $250,00 in damage, was started by a heat lamp left on in the garage to keep the family's dog warm, Olsen said.
The Red Cross was assisting the family Saturday night.