Here’s a look at the news for Dec. 5.
Wildfires rage in Southern California
Thousands of California residents fled their homes on Monday after wildfires engulfed nearly 26,000 acres of land in Southern California, according to NPR.
The fires come just weeks after firefighters tackled wildfires in the northern part of the Golden States.
More than 1,000 homes in Ventura, Santa Paula and Ojai have been evacuated.
An incident report called the fire "fast moving," according to NPR.
Here’s what Trump said in Utah
President Donald Trump visited Salt Lake City on Monday, and some of what he said has already made national headlines.
According to the Deseret News, Trump visited Utah to sign proclamations that would dramatically reduce the sizes of Bears Ears and the Grand Staircase-Escalante national monuments.
Trump also met with LDS Church leaders, toured Welfare Square, spoke at the Utah Capitol building and admitted that he hoped to see Utah Sen. Orrin Hatch make another run for the Senate.
Trump also called Mitt Romney “a good man.”
Read more in the stories below:
- Hundreds of protesters greet Trump at state Capitol
Trump: 'Public lands will once again be for public use'
Watch: President Donald Trump at LDS Church's Welfare Square
Jazz blowout Wizards
The Utah Jazz continue to roll, winning their sixth consecutive game with a 116-69 whopping on the Washington Wizards, according to the Deseret News.
The Wizards played without star point guard John Wall.
Utah’s star center Rudy Gobert returned to the lineup after missing 11 games with an injury.
The win was the second-largest margin of victory in Jazz history.
Read more at the Deseret News.
- Questions linger about Real Salt Lake’s stadium deal. Rio Tinto Stadium reportedly devalued by nearly half, according to county records. Read more at the Deseret News.
- A new University of Utah study found that just 6 percent of Americans who have high deductible health plans don’t negotiate prices. Read more at the Deseret News.
- Two young girls who were at the center of a statewide amber alert were found late Monday afternoon. Read more at the Deseret News.
- Supreme Court Allows Trump Travel Ban to Take Effect [The New York Times]
- RNC to support Roy Moore in Senate race in Alabama, weeks after cutting ties with his campaign [The Washington Post]
- Saudi strikes pound Yemeni capital after ex-president slain [The Washington Post]
- Catalan arrest warrants withdrawn by Spain's Supreme Court [BBC]
- Colorado baker in court Tuesday: What you need to know [Deseret News]