This story is sponsored by Blendtec. Learn more about Blendtec.
It’s been proven that by the end of January or the first part of February, most New Year’s resolutioners have either let their new goals slide or have abandoned them entirely. That is especially true when it comes to resolutions centered on fitness, weight loss and healthy eating. In fact, according to a 2016 survey, just 58.4 percent of resolution makers stay on track beyond the first month of the new goal.
If your own health-related resolutions are quickly becoming neglected as you and your family slide into poor eating habits, it’s time to get back on track.
The easiest way to restart your goals is through some old-fashioned inspiration, right? So, rather than casting out those resolutions altogether after just a few weeks, try making some of these mouth-watering recipes that are delicious, healthy, homemade, and super simple since they are all made in that often-forgotten kitchen appliance: the blender!
Using a high-speed blender, you can easily make grab-and-go individual servings, like the Orange Greensicle Smoothie that can be easily whipped up in the Blendtec GO™ travel jar accessory — the newest innovation from Utah’s own Blendtec — or dinner for the entire family, like the Loaded Baked Potato Soup. These recipes, provided by Blendtec, are perfect for getting the entire family back on the healthy eating New Year’s Resolution bandwagon.
Orange Greensicle Smoothie
Fueling a healthy lifestyle can often be time-consuming. With the new GO™ travel jar accessory from Blendtec, however, delicious pre- and post-workout drinks and smoothies can be made with ease. Blend that pre-workout shake in a Solo cup inserted into the GO™ accessory and sip on that while you blend up your post-workout smoothie in the convenient travel jar. Toss it in your gym bag and you’re good to go.
3⁄4 cup crushed or nugget ice
3⁄4 cup peeled and cubed oranges
1/3 cup spinach (loosely packed)
1⁄4 tsp vanilla
1⁄4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1⁄2 tablespoon honey or sweetener of choice
- Add ingredients to Go jar or Solo cup that’s been inserted into the jar.
- Secure the micronizer and place on blender base.
- Select “Smoothie” cycle or blend on a medium speed for 50 seconds.
Vitality Green Juice
If part of your healthier eating resolution includes ramping up your daily vitamin intake, this green juice is the key. Packed with nutrition, it’s high in fiber, potassium, folate, vitamins A, C, and K, and more! This delicious juice is great this time of year, too, for boosting the immune system — something we could all benefit from as flu viruses continue to encroach.
- 10 ounces water
- 1 medium orange, peeled
- 1/2 medium lemon, peeled
- 1 medium carrot, about 80 grams
- 1 medium apple, cored
- 1 cup kale, tightly packed
- 1 cup spinach, tightly packed
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled (about a 1-by-1 inch piece)
- 1 cup ice cubes
- InstructionsAdd ingredients to blender jar in order listed and secure lid.
- Blend on "Whole Juice" cycle or on a medium to medium-high speed for 50–60 seconds.
Easy Cauliflower Rice
Cauliflower has become the new “it” veggie as professional and home cooks discover its versatility. The vegetable is now a preferred healthy alternative to pizza crust and mashed potatoes. And now, with this great recipe, you can even replace carb-filled, starchy white rice. This recipe is paleo and diabetic-friendly, and thanks to the blender, a breeze to make.
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets and divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, optional
- InstructionPreheat oven to 350° F.
- Add half of the cauliflower florets to blender jar and cover with water.
- Secure lid and press “Pulse” four or five times until cauliflower is chopped into small pieces that resemble rice.
- Strain cauliflower rice and repeat with remaining florets.
- If using olive oil, salt, and pepper, coat evenly over cauliflower rice.
- Spread a single layer on a rimmed cookie sheet and bake for 12–20 minutes until rice is soft.
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Saving money by eating at home more often is a popular New Year’s resolution. With this creamy Loaded Baked Potato Soup recipe, there’s no need to frequent those popular steakhouses. This soup, which includes all your favorite baked potato toppings, is a perfect cold-weather meal the entire family is sure to enjoy.
- 1 3/4 cups milk, warmed
- 1/4 cup light sour cream
- 1 green onion, trimmed and halved
- 2 ounces reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, baked or boiled
- 3 slices of bacon, cooked and divided
- InstructionsAdd milk, sour cream, green onion, cheddar cheese, salt, pepper, and one baked potato to blender jar in the order listed and secure lid.
- Select “Soup” or “Hot” or “90” cycle or blend on a high speed for 90 seconds.
- Add the second potato and bacon and secure lid.
- Press “Pulse” two to four times to chop and incorporate ingredients for a chunky potato soup.
- Serve soup and garnish with desired baked potato toppings.
Amazing Vegan Cheese Sauce
If one of your resolutions includes eating less meat, then this Amazing Vegan Cheese Sauce will be a perfect way to dress up a baked potato, steamed veggies, or mac & cheese for a meatless Monday night. The taste and texture of this you-won't-believe-it’s-not-cheese sauce are incredible.
- 2 cups potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- InstructionsPut the potatoes and carrots in a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender. Most potatoes will be done in 10–20 minutes. (If you’re making mac & cheese, cook your pasta at the same time.)
- Drain potatoes and carrots and add to blender jar.
- Add remaining ingredients and secure lid.
- Blend on “Dips” cycle or on a medium speed for 25 seconds.
- Serve immediately.
For more healthy blender recipes, visit blendtec.com/recipes.