SALT LAKE CITY — Two “American Idol” contestants with Utah ties are moving on to the next round of “American Idol.”
Ashley Hess, who did not appear on Monday night’s episode, announced on Twitter that she would be heading to Hawaii for the top 40 round of the show.
- “They didn’t air my solo performance on ‘American Idol’ tonight but I made it to the top 40 and am going to Hawaii,” she tweeted.
They didn’t air my solo performance on #AmericanIdol tonight but I MADE IT TO THE TOP 40 AND AM GOING TO HAWAII!!! (here’s a clip of the original song I sang that put me through to the next round ) pic.twitter.com/t4Y9ZIK1Dk— Ashley Hess (@ashleyhessmusic) March 26, 2019
- Hess made headlines during her original audition after judge Katy Perry said "she could win the whole thing.”
- “I'm just mad that you don't believe in yourself. You could win this whole competition! Wake up!" Perry said on “American Idol,” which I wrote about for the Deseret News.
Johanna Jones, who did appear on Monday night’s episode, will be heading on to the next round as well.
- Jones made headlines after her boyfriend Matt Zavoral proposed to her during the live show, which I wrote about for the Deseret News.
- “He’s the most supportive, loving, awesome guy I ever knew,” she said of her boyfriend. “I don’t want to get ahead of myself but he’s probably the one.”
Date: "American Idol” returns Sunday night to showcase the top 40.