SAN ANTONIO — BYU softball claimed a 6-0 victory over the University of Texas San Antonio but fell 4-1 in the second game of the doubleheader Thursday afternoon at Roadrunner Field.
“We got a split on the road today in two hard-fought games," BYU head coach Gordon Eakin said. “It was not what we wanted or needed but to win a doubleheader on the road you have to play with passion and energy. As a team we lack those key ingredients right now and we seemed tired. It’s possible 29 straight road games could create a fatigued team, but that’s where passion has to kick in.”
- Arissa Paulson and Kerisa Viramontes combined for the shutout against UTSA with Paulson recording her fifth win of the season and retiring the side in three consecutive innings.
- Ashley Godfrey and Olivia Sanchez both hit solo homers to give BYU the advantage early.
- Three Cougars tallied multiple hits, including Libby Sugg, who went 3 for 4 at the plate, and Sanchez and Godfrey recording two each.
- Ashley Godfrey: 2-3, 1R, 1 HR, 1 RBI
- Olivia Sanchez: 2-3, 2R, 2B, 1 HR, 2 RBI
- Arissa Paulson: W (5-5), 6.0 IP, 0R, 6K
In the top of the fourth, Sanchez doubled to right field to score Arissa Paulson from second base. Martha Epenesa followed by reaching on an error and Sanchez made it home to increase the Cougars' lead 4-0.
Rylee Jensen got on base in the top of the fifth frame and tallied a run as Taylei Williams reached second base on an error. Sugg hit her third single of the day to score Williams, making the score 6-0. The Cougars held off the Roadrunners in the bottom of the seventh to take the win 6-0.
- UTSA scored two runs in its first and last innings of the game.
- Brooke Vander Heide scored the Cougars' lone run as Ashley Godfrey recorded the RBI.
- Brooke Vander Heide: 1-2, 1R
- Autumn Moffat: L (7-9), 3.0 IP, 2R, 0BB, 2K
- Kerisa Viramontes: 3.0 IP, 2H, 2R, 1BB, 2K
UTSA went up early in the second game, recording two runs in the bottom of the first inning. BYU was held scoreless for five innings before Brooke Vander Heide bunted and made it to first. A double from Jensen then advanced Vander Heide to third and she scored on a fielder’s choice.
Although the Cougars cut the Roadrunners lead in half, UTSA tacked on two more runs in the bottom of the sixth. In the top of the seventh, Sugg got on base, singling to the shortstop, but was left stranded on base as the game ended with the Roadrunners taking the second game 4-1.
BYU continues on the road to face Texas A&M in College Station on Friday, March 29, at 6 p.m. and Saturday, March 30, at 2 p.m. CT. Both games will be played at Davis Diamond with the games being broadcast on the SECN+ and WatchESPN App. Live radio coverage and live stats will be available on the schedule page.