RENO, Nev. – Utah State men's tennis (17-8, 5-1 MW) blanked Nevada (10-9, 2-4 MW) with a 4-0 final on Sunday afternoon at the McArthur Tennis Center.
"The guys came together this weekend and I’m really proud of their effort," said head coach James Wilson. "We are building and improving and I think we are getting closer to our potential. Now we have to keep working and prepare for Boise State next week."
The Aggies opened doubles play with a 6-0 sweep from juniors Sergiu Bucur and Duro Opacic at the No. 3 spot, while Nevada won at the first position, leaving it up to the second spot for the doubles point. Sophomore Felipe Acosta and freshman Isaac Arevalo Gómez would prevail, as they earned the doubles point with a 6-4 win at the No. 2 spot.
In singles play, Opacic cruised to a 6-3, 6-3 victory at the No. 6 spot, while sophomore Jose Carvajal earned the Aggies a 3-0 lead with a 6-3, 6-1 win at the No. 2 spot. Acosta won his sixth match-clinching point of the season, and his seventh overall, as he earned a 6-3, 6-4 win at the No. 4 spot.
Utah State wraps up the regular season by taking on Boise State (11-8, 1-5 MW) on Saturday, April 20, at 11 a.m. in Boise. If the Aggies win on Saturday, they will have sole possession of second place in the Mountain West.
RESULTS Utah State 4, Nevada 0 Doubles 1. Kostya Nesterenko/Julien Evrard (NEV) def. Jose Carvajal/Rithvik Bollipalli (USU) 6-4
2. Felipe Acosta/Isaac Arevalo Gómez (USU) def. Jonathan Aremon/Jeremy Merville (NEV) 6-4
3. Sergiu Bucur/Duro Opacic (USU) def. Delmas N'tcha/Daniel Dudockin (NEV) 6-0
Singles 1. Julien Evrard (NEV) vs. Isaac Arevalo Gómez (USU) 7-5, 4-3, unfinished
2. Jose Carvajal (USU) def. Kostya Nesterenko (NEV) 6-3, 6-1
3. Jeremy Merville (NEV) vs. Sergiu Bucur (USU) 4-6, 6-3, unfinished
4. Felipe Acosta (USU) def. Jonathan Aremon (NEV) 6-3, 6-4
5. Daniel Dudockin (NEV) vs. Rithvik Bollipalli (USU) 3-6, 2-4, unfinished
6. Duro Opacic (USU) def. Matvey Radionov (NEV) 6-3, 6-3