clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Car appeared to intentionally hit motorcyclist, witnesses tell police

Carlos Fernando Quintana-Lozano
Carlos Fernando Quintana-Lozano
Salt Lake County Jail

SALT LAKE CITY — Witnesses say a motorcyclist who was hit and killed during an apparent road rage altercation last week appeared to have been hit intentionally, according to court documents.

About 3 a.m. Friday, David Lee Haines, 63, of Riverton, was riding his motorcycle east on state Route 201 when he was hit from behind, causing Haines to crash into a concrete barrier near 2700 West, police say. Haines was declared dead at the scene.

Later that night, the Utah Highway Patrol announced that agents working as part of Operation Rio Grande had arrested Carlos Fernando Quintana-Lozano, 36, of Taylorsville.

Quintana-Lozano, who has a lengthy criminal history according to court records, was most recently convicted of aggravated assault in February and placed on probation. He pleaded guilty to attacking his neighbor with a stick in December.

But after Friday's fatal crash, a warrant was issued for Quintana-Lozano's arrest for violating his probation. According to the arrest warrant issued by Adult Probation and Parole, witnesses told UHP troopers that Quintana-Lozano and Haines "appeared to be engaged in a road rage incident."

"They were swerving at each other and attempting to cut each other off," the warrant states.

Quintana-Lozano, who was driving a Chevy Malibu, "appeared to intentionally run into the rear of the motorcycle, causing it to crash," witnesses told investigators, according to the warrant.

After the crash, Quintana-Lozano got out of the car and ran off, troopers said. Inside the Chevy, investigators found his phone, according to the warrant.

Quintana-Lozano has had numerous charges filed against him for driving violations, including impaired driving and driving on a suspended license, according to court records.

Haines' obituary states that he was born in Tacoma, Washington, and moved to Salt Lake City where he worked for Ace Disposal. He is survived by his wife, three children, six stepchildren, 14 grandchildren, his mother, two sisters and a brother.

"David was an avid hunter and fisherman," his obituary says. "If you needed help David was always there to give a helping hand. He loved to ride his motorcycle with his family and friends."

Funeral services for Haines will be held Wednesday.