PROVO, Utah — The BYU softball team took two wins in a doubleheader with San Diego, earning an 8-0 win in the first game and 15-2 in the second at Gail Miller Field on Friday.
"We played two solid games today," BYU head coach Gordon Eakin said. "I like the energy and urgency this team is playing with right now. They were two complete team wins."
- Home runs by Rylee Jensen and Libby Sugg aided the Cougars to an early 3-0 lead in the first inning.
- A sacrifice fly by Brooke Vander Heide added a fourth before Jensen tallied her second homer to extend BYU’s lead to 5-0.
- After three scoreless innings, the Cougars tallied a pair of runs and ended the game with a walk when the bases were loaded.
- Paulson pitched all six innings and only allowed one hit while striking out five batters.
- Rylee Jensen: 2-3, 2 HR, 2 RBI
- Libby Sugg: 2-3, 1 HR, 1 2B, 2 RBI
- Arissa Paulson: 6.0 IP, 1 H, 3 BB, 5 K
The Cougars’ bats were swinging in the first inning, as Jensen led off the bottom of the first by slamming a home run to left field for the first run of the game. Taylei Williams got on base with a single and then stole second with Libby Sugg at bat. Sugg recorded BYU’s second homer of the game to give the Cougars an early 3-0 advantage.
In the second inning, Paulson retired the first three batters as BYU maintained its momentum. A double by Olivia Sanchez put her in scoring position before crossing home plate with a Brooke Vander Heide sacrifice fly to center field. Jensen returned to the plate and hit her second homer of the game to extend the Cougars’ lead to 5-0.
BYU put the game away in the sixth inning as Lexi Tarrow and Maria Sanchez each recorded an RBI and helped the Cougars load the bases. The final run of the game came off of a walk.
- The Cougars jumped to an early 4-0 lead in the first after Paulson, Autumn Moffat, Emilee Erickson and Tarrow each recorded an RBI.
- In the second inning, BYU added three more runs to bring the score to 7-0. Williams recorded 2 RBI and Paulson add an RBI of her own.
- The third inning was highlighted by home runs by Moffat and Tarrow, who combined to drive in four runs. Williams and Erickson each added a 2 RBI singles to bring the score to 15-0.
- Singles in the fourth inning gave the Toreros their only runs of the day.
- Lexi Tarrow: 3-3, 2 RBI, 2 R, 1 HR, 1 2B
- Rylee Jensen: 2-2, 3 R, 1 2B
- Taylei Williams: 2-2: 2 R, 4 RBI
- Arissa Paulson: 2-2, 2 RBI, 1 R
- Autumn Moffat: 5.0 IP, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HR
Once again, the Cougars started out the game strong as a double by Jensen jump-started the momentum. She returned to home plate for the first run of game two as Paulson recorded a single. Autumn Moffat added an RBI and doubles by Emilee Erickson and Tarrow gave each batter an RBI to help bring the score to 4-0.
In the second inning, BYU added three more runs to bring the score to 7-0. Brooke Vander Heide was first at bat and was walked. Jensen and Williams each hit a single and Williams recorded 2 RBI. Paulson hit an RBI single to center field for the final run of the inning.
An impressive eight runs in the third extended BYU’s lead to 15-0. The inning was highlighted by back-to-back homers by Moffat and Tarrow for a combined four runs. Williams and Erickson each recorded 2 RBI with singles down the middle.
The Toreros scored their only runs in the fourth inning as a pair of singles were tallied.
Moffat pitched five innings, recording no walks and one strikeout.
The Cougars return to Gail Miller Field on Saturday, April 26 for the final game of the series against USD. The game will be televised on BYUtv and will begin at 1 p.m. MDT.