BURLINGAME, Calif. — Junior Polina Malykh’s 12th singles win in a row aided the BYU women’s tennis team in its 4-0 sweep over San Francisco, Friday.
“We had great momentum going into singles after winning the doubles point,” BYU head coach Holly Parkinson Hasler said. “San Francisco came out very strong in the singles, and every match was a battle. The momentum changed many times, and it was great to see everyone fighting.”
Malykh took a 2-6, 7-5, 6-0 victory over San Francisco’s Hanna Borjeson picking up her 12th singles win in a row this season. She has the longest winning streak as a Cougar.
BYU began the match by sealing the doubles point in the No. 2 and No. 1 positions. Duo Madeline Almeida and Malykh took a demanding 6-1 victory over the Dons’ Shanna Dos Santos and Rita Colyer. Although the Cougars lost in No. 3 position, they came back to clinch the first point in No. 1. Kate Cusick and Anastasia Abramyan beat Mya Bui and Emily Maxfield, 6-4.
Building off the early momentum, BYU claimed the next three victories in a row. Almeida downed San Francisco’s Margarita Treyes 6-4, 6-4 at No. 4 while the Cougars’ Abramyan added a 7-5, 6-4 win over the Dons’ Maxfield in No. 2 singles. Malykh’s victory finished off the matches and clinched the win for BYU.
- Anastasia Abramyan/Kate Cusick (BYU) def. Mya Bui/Emily Maxfield (USF) 6-4
- Madeline Almeida/Polina Malykh (BYU) def. Shanna Dos Santos/Rita Colyer (USF) 6-1
- Margarita Treyes/Hanna Borjeson (USF) def. Taylah Beckman/Samantha Smith (BYU) 6-4
- Kate Cusick (BYU) vs. Mya Bui (USF) 2-6, 6-3, 3-5, unfinished
- Anastasia Abramyan (BYU) def. Emily Maxfield (USF) 7-5, 6-4
- Polina Malykh (BYU) def. Hanna Borjeson (USF) 2-6, 7-5, 6-0
- Madeline Almeida (BYU) def. Margarita Treyes (USF) 6-4, 6-4
- Katie Fitt (BYU) vs. Rita Colyer (USF), unfinished
- Samantha Smith (BYU) vs. Shanna Dos Santos (USF), unfinished