clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

California earthquake: A 7.1-magnitude quake rocks Ridgecrest just one day after a 6.4 earthquake. Experts predicted it

Friday night's earthquake followed a quake from Thursday.

A road is damaged from an earthquake Thursday, July 4, 2019, in Trona, Calif. A strong earthquake rattled a large swath of Southern California and parts of Nevada on Thursday, rattling nerves on the July 4th holiday and causing some damage in a town near
A road is damaged from an earthquake Thursday, July 4, 2019, in Trona, Calif. A strong earthquake rattled a large swath of Southern California and parts of Nevada on Thursday, rattling nerves on the July Fourth holiday and causing some damage in a town near the epicenter, followed by a swarm of aftershocks.
Matt Hartman

SALT LAKE CITY — A 7.1-magnitude earthquake struck near Ridgecrest, California, on Friday night, disrupting a community that had been rocked on Thursday by an earthquake as well, NBC News reports.

The Los Angeles County Fire Department tweeted that there was shaking but no damage. Las Vegas felt the shake as well. The NBA Summer League closed down after the shaking, too, according to CNN.

Yesterday: A 6.4 magnitude earthquake rocked California on July 4 in what was the strongest earthquake in 20 years. But officials feared a second earthquake may happen in the next few days, according to CBS News.

Caltech seismologist Lucy Jones told CBS News that California — specifically the cities and towns surrounding Ridgecrest, California, where the event took place — could experience a number of aftershocks following the earthquake.

Jones said a bigger earthquake may arrive soon. "There is about a 1 in 20 chance that this location will be having an even bigger earthquake within the next few days," Jones said.

Not alone: The U.S. Geological Survey told CNN that there’s a 20% chance of another earthquake — specifically one that would be magnitude 6 or higher. There’s an 80% chance of a magnitude 5 or higher earthquake, too.

Actions: Ridgecrest Mayor Peggy Breeden has declared a state of emergency for the city. She is reportedly worried about more potential damage, according to CBS. The state of emergency "allows us to seek services from all the entities, both state and federal, that can help us with the cleanup,” she told CBS.

What happened after: A series of aftershocks rocked California in the aftermath of the earthquake, including a 4.5 magnitude temblor, The Associated Press reports.

  • "It almost gave me a heart attack," said Cora Burke, a waitress in Ridgecrest who spoke with The Associated Press. "It's just a rolling feeling inside the building, inside the cafe and all of a sudden everything started falling off the shelf, glasses, the refrigerator and everything in the small refrigerator fell over."