clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Former BYU, Utah stars Taysom Hill and Marcus Williams make big plays on Monday Night Football

Hill caught a touchdown pass from Saints quarterback Drew Brees, while Williams intercepted Texans quarterback DeShaun Watson.

New Orleans Saints quarterback Taysom Hill (7) celebrates his touchdown reception in the second half of an NFL football game against the Houston Texans in New Orleans, Monday, Sept. 9, 2019.

SALT LAKE CITY — A pair of former BYU and Utah college football stars had quite the nights for the New Orleans Saints in their thrilling 30-28 come-from-behind win over the Houston Texans on Monday Night Football.

Former BYU quarterback Taysom Hill and former Utah safety Marcus Williams both made game-changing plays in the Saints’ victory.

Hill was the first to make his mark.

With the Saints trailing 21-10 with 2:45 remaining in the third quarter, Hill hauled in a 9-yard touchdown pass from Saints quarterback Drew Brees to bring New Orleans within 4 points of the lead.

Here’s another look at the touchdown.

The score came on Hill’s only reception of the night. The third-string quarterback also rushed twice for 8 yards.

One of those rushes was a highlight of its own, if only for Hill’s physicality.

Meanwhile, on the Texans’ offensive series that followed Hill’s touchdown, Williams got involved.

The safety intercepted a pass by Houston quarterback DeShaun Watson that was intended for Will Fuller, on the Saints’ 40-yard line.

Williams covered some ground to make the play.

The pick abruptly cut Houston’s drive short and gave the ball back to Brees and the Saints’ offense.

Williams dealt with some extracurricular activity following the play, when Texans wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins slammed him to ground well after the whistle had blown, and Hopkins earned a personal foul penalty as a result.

In addition to the interception, Williams recorded a pair of pass breakups and two tackles.

Following Williams’ interception, the Saints proceeded to march down the field for another score, and took a 24-21 lead with just over three minutes left in the game.

Things weren’t quite finished, however.

Watson then led the Texans on a touchdown drive of their own and found Kenny Stills for what appeared to be a game-winning touchdown.

That is, until this last second and game-winning field goal by Saints placekicker Wil Lutz.