South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, a Republican, recently declared a “war” for Chick-fil-A — a war which was won shortly after it was declared.
What happened with Lindsey Graham and Chick-fil-A?
Graham declared a “big win” last week after the University of Notre Dame said it would allow an on-campus Chick-fil-A restaurant to be built despite some pushback from students, according to The Hill. He had previously said he would “go to war” for the chicken restaurant.
- “Big win! Great to hear Chick-fil-A is coming to Notre Dame. Well done to all the patriots at Notre Dame who stood up for Chick-fil-A and against Cancel Culture. Hope New York will follow your lead,” Graham tweeted.
- Graham’s tweet was a reference to some New York state lawmakers who want to keep Chick-fil-A out of state rest stops, according to The Hill.
Did Notre Dame ban Chick-fil-A?
Notre Dame issued a statement that announced it would allow Chick-fil-A to have an on-campus location after students and faculty wrote letters that opposed the restaurant chain, according to The Hill.
- “Notre Dame has examined the concerns surrounding Chick-fil-A’s charitable giving, discussed them with company representatives, campus partners and students and believes that Chick-fil-A has responded to these issues in a satisfactory manner,” the school said in a statement, according to WNDU.
- “Our students have overwhelmingly expressed a desire to have a Chick-fil-A restaurant on campus, and we look forward to opening one early next year,” the school said.
Why did Notre Dame students oppose Chick-fil-A?
Students and faculty wrote a letter to the editor in The Observer that said Chick-fil-A's values contradicted Notre Dame’s values.
- “Our first concern relates to Chick-fil-A’s longstanding antagonism toward the LGBTQ+ community,” the letter said. “Over the past two decades, Chick-fil-A has donated significant sums to groups that oppose LGBTQ+ rights.”
When will Notre Dame add Chick-fil-A?
Per FOX59, the Chick-fil-A is a part of Notre Dame’s new campus dining plan. Construction will begin in August.