“Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings” made its Hollywood debut Monday night, and the first reactions are already here.
What is ‘Shang-Chi’ about?
In this new Marvel film, Shang Chi (Simu Liu) learns about his family’s legendary past, which includes using 10 rings that contain mystical powers. Shang Chi then goes to battle others for the sake of the 10 rings.
- Shang-Chi, “must confront the past he thought he left behind when he is drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization,” according to a Disney+ press release.
- The cast includes Tony Leung as Wenwu, Awkwafina as Katy and Michelle Yeoh as Jiang Nan. Fala Chen, Meng’er Zhang, Florian Munteanu and Ronny Chieng also star in the film.
What are the early reviews for ‘Shang-Chi’ so far?
Multiple reviews surfaced online Monday night for “Shang-Chi” after Disney premiered the film in Hollywood. The reviews suggest the film is a solid family film with mind-blowing action and cool post-credits scenes.
- I’ll be seeing the film on Tuesday night. My social media review will drop soon after, so make sure to follow my Twitter feed (@herbscribner) if you’re interested in my perspective on the new film.
Otherwise, here are a bunch of reactions from those who attended the Hollywood premiere.
#ShangChi is an absolute triumph, unexpectedly spiritual and emotionally complex, with some of the very best action in the MCU. @SimuLiu is your new favorite Avenger and the movie’s myriad influences (everything from Jackie Chan to Hayao Miyazaki) pay off big time). Astounding.🐉 pic.twitter.com/72Yubnb4KV— Drew Taylor (@DrewTailored) August 17, 2021
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings earns the title of the best superhero film of 2021 so far. The action scenes are simply spectacular, especially the train & skyscraper scene. Best martial arts I’ve seen in a long time. Simu Liu & Awkwafina are terrific. #ShangChi pic.twitter.com/M0EEMJqKu3— Scott Menzel (@ScottDMenzel) August 17, 2021
#ShangChi is such a personal, family story at its core. That’s when it’s at its best.— BD (@BrandonDavisBD) August 17, 2021
The third act is full of surprises but sometimes is a little crazier than is needed. Ultimately delivers epic action and the intimate moments to land. Big MCU stuff.
Can’t wait to watch again! pic.twitter.com/4zy7HiF5EO
#ShangChi is awesome. This movie hits all that Marvel does well (pacing, humor, character) and adds action like we’ve never seen from the MCU before! 👏🏻👏🏻— BD (@BrandonDavisBD) August 17, 2021
Lots of people are about to have a new favorite Marvel hero.
Darker than expected. Loads of fun. Integral to MCU Phase 4!👀 pic.twitter.com/YI3jkwLuq6
I really dug #ShangChi! There is a lot not in the trailers (maybe avoid ads in the next couple of weeks I fear will show more?) and it has its own vibe and distinct elements that make it stand out and not feel like a standard origin story. And Simu Liu makes for an awesome hero.— Eric Goldman (@TheEricGoldman) August 17, 2021
Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings is PHENOMENAL. Get hyped. Even fight scene/action sequence is better than the last. @SimuLiu fully embraces the marvel superhero role. Amazing imagery. Killer soundtrack. You’ll want to see this on the big screen. #shangchi— Wendy Lee Szany (@WendyLeeSzany) August 17, 2021
When does ‘Shang-Chi’ come out?
“Shang-Chi” — directed by Destin Daniel Cretton — debuts in theaters only on Sept. 3.
- Disney CEO Bob Chapek said the theater-only release is an “experiment” for Disney amid the pandemic, according to CNN.
- The previous Marvel film, “Black Widow,” was released on Disney+ and in theaters at the same time.
- That release caused controversy, though, as Scarlett Johansson sued Disney, saying she was denied her share of the box-office splits.