The Deseret News is providing live coverage from today’s Rose Bowl Game between Utah and Ohio State. Follow along for updates throughout the day.
What a wild game.
The Utes lose 48-45 to Ohio State, as the Buckeyes outscored the Utes 27-10 after halftime.
Britain Covey was stopped on the final kickoff, ending the game.
Ohio State finally took the lead in the fourth quarter, then rallied for the game-winning field goal with seconds left after backup Bryson Barnes led a TD drive for Utah to tie the game at 45.
Ohio State 48, Utah 45
- 0:09 — Ohio State’s Noah Ruggles hits a 19-yard field goal after a quick 56-yard drive, and the Buckeyes are back in front after an impressive drive to get back in go-ahead position.
- 1:54 — Backup Bryson Barnes leads a gutty drive, and we are tied again after Barnes threw a 15-yard touchdown pass to Dalton Kincaid. Ohio State was called for pass interference twice on the 57-yard drive, and Barnes gained 10 yards on a keeper on third-and-1.
- 4:22 — Ohio State is in the lead for the first time all afternoon, driving 85 yards for the go-ahead score. One play after converting a fourth-and-4 in Utah territory, C.J. Stroud hit Jaxon Smith-Njigba for a 30-yard touchdown pass in the corner of the end zone.
- 10:00 — Cam Rising went down hard after taking a sack, and Utah replaced its star quarterback with Bryson Barnes, a freshman out of Milford High.
- 10:12 — The game is tied for the first time since it was 0-0, as Ohio State capitalized on Utah failing on a fourth down in Buckeye territory. Ohio State moved the ball 71 yards in seven plays before C.J. Stroud threw his fifth touchdown pass — a 5-yarder to Marvin Harrison Jr. on third down — to tie it at 38-all.
- Here’s a look at the “Moment of Loudness” honoring Ty Jordan and Aaron Lowe at the Rose Bowl:
Utah 38, Ohio State 31
- 2:53 — C.J. Stroud marched the Buckeyes down the field, but Utah held strong in the red zone, as the Utes broke up two passes and forced a field goal from Noah Ruggles. Utah still leads 38-31.
- 7:10 — Micah Bernard scampers for 22 yards, and Cam Rising hits Dalton Kincaid for 23 yards, but Utah’s drive stalls in the red zone after three straight rushes are stuffed by Ohio State. Jadon Redding makes the first field goal by either team today, and Utah leads 38-28.
- 11:20 — Utah’s special teams mistake leads to an Ohio State touchdown. C.J. Stroud connects with an open Marvin Harrison Jr., and Utah’s lead is cut to seven points.
- 12:12 — Disaster for Utah’s special teams. Punter Michael Williams drops the snap, and Ohio State has the ball at Utah’s 11-yard line.
- 13:40 — Clark Phillips III, the former Ohio State commit, picks off C.J. Stroud in the end zone on Ohio State’s first drive of the second half.
Utah 35, Ohio State 21
- 4:27 — This game keeps getting crazier. Ohio State’s C.J. Stroud throws it to Jaxon Smith-Njibga, who heads for the end zone, but Clark Phillips III forces the fumble at the 7-yard line, and Cole Bishop recovers for Utah.
- 6:20 — Cameron Rising, on 4th and 1 from Utah’s 38-yard-line, keeps it and runs 62 yards for a touchdown. Utah leads 35-21. This game is officially insane.
- 8:02 — Now C.J. Stroud throws another touchdown, this one to Jaxon Smith-Njibga, and cuts Utah’s lead to seven. That’s four touchdowns scored in just over a minute of game time.
- 8:17 — Britain Covey to the house. Covey takes Ohio State’s kickoff 97 yards for the touchdown, increasing the Utes’ lead to 14. It’s the first career kickoff return for Covey, and he does it on the biggest stage of his career.
- 8:32 — Ohio State answers Utah’s touchdown with one of its own. C.J. Stroud’s 50-yard touchdown pass to Jaxon Smith-Njibga puts the Buckeyes within seven.
- 9:07 — Make that three consecutive touchdowns scored by Utah’s offense. The Utes lead 21-7. Cam Rising is dealing, starting the 79-yard touchdown drive with a 23-yard strike to Devaughn Vele. Rising also found Solomon Enis for 14 yards, and then scrambled for a 16-yard gain. On the run, Rising was hit in the helmet by defensive end Jack Sawyer, who was ejected for targeting. Tavion Thomas scored a six-yard touchdown.
- 14:17 — There’s the Ohio State offense that everyone expected. C.J. Stroud had a couple of nice passes on that drive, a 30-yard pass to Emeka Egbuka, who did a good job of keeping his feet inbounds, and then a 25-yard touchdown pass to the corner of the end zone, caught by Marvin Harrison Jr.
Utah 14, Ohio State 0
- It’s a dream start for Utah in the first quarter. Andy Ludwig calls a great opening quarter, Cam Rising went 6 for 8 and threw two touchdowns, and Utah’s defense forced OSU to punt two times.
- 3:28 — Utah has scored on two consecutive possessions, as Micah Bernard, who is also spending some time at cornerback today, hauls in a 12-yard pass from Cam Rising in the corner of the end zone. Utah got tricky on the eight-play, 67-yard drive, as Covey got the ball, dropped back to pass, but decided to run for eight yards. Rising also threw a 27-yard pass to Brant Kuithe to begin the drive.
- 9:22 — Cam Rising hits Britain Covey for a 19-yard touchdown pass, and Utah strikes first. TJ Pledger got a few carries on the drive, and pass interference committed by Ohio State set up the Rising to Covey connection.
- We are underway from Rose Bowl Stadium. Utah won the coin toss and elected to receive.
To get you ready for the game, here is the Deseret News’ complete Rose Bowl week coverage