Singers hoping to earn their shot at fame during “American Idol” auditions at the Sunriver Resort in Sunriver, Oregon, had a lot more to worry about than a voice crack or a forgotten lyric, Yahoo! News reports, as there was a gas leak in the building.
While waiting for the next round of auditions, judges Luke Bryan, Lionel Ritchie and Katy Perry noticed an odd smell, which Perry and Bryan both identified as a form of gas, USA Today reports.
The building was quickly evacuated, but the gas had already gotten to Perry, who said she was getting a headache before collapsing outside while talking to firefighters.
Perry recovered quickly. She stood up and then danced to Ritchie’s “All Night Long” with the first responders who responded to the leak, as seen in a clip released by ABC on Sunday.
The firefighters were also given “golden tickets.” which are usually earned by contestants, CNN reports. Those tickets typically mean contestants are invited to attend the next round of “American Idol” in Hollywood. No word on if the first responders will get another chance to appear on the show.
Perry took to social media to thank the first responders who fixed the leak. She also shared a video of herself laying on the ground and texting friends while firefighters checked her vitals.
What could have been a dangerous situation seems to have become a humorous memory for the singer, who is already using the gas leak to poke fun at fellow judge Bryan.
The leak was reported on Nov. 1, 2019, back when “American Idol” auditions were originally filmed in Sunriver, Oregon, according to Central Oregon Daily.
Perry’s had plenty of time to heal, and it looks like she’s ready to move on.