What’s going on:
- Diamond shared a video on Twitter in which he reworked the lyrics of his famous hit “Sweet Caroline” to accommodate for social distancing.
- Diamond said: “I know we’re going through a rough time right now but I love ya. I think maybe if we sing together, well, we’ll just feel a little bit better.”
- The original song calls for touching and holdings hands, both of which are not recommended by public health officials because of the pandemic.
- So Diamond sang an acoustic version of his hit song with new lyrics:
- “Hands … washing hands,” he sang. Reaching out … don’t touch me, I won’t touch you!”
Washing hands and music
- Music has been used in many ways to promote proper hand washing during the coronavirus pandemic. For example, there’s a host of songs out there that people have used to keep track of how long they’re washing hands. In the beginning of the pandemic in the U.S., people tweeted out song ideas to use when you’re washing your hands.
- The Killers similarly tweeted a video where lead man Brandon Flowers sang the chorus of “Mr. Brightside” while washing his hands.