Beyonce wasn’t on the preannounced list of performers for “The Disney Family Singalong” — but it didn’t matter. She showed up and shared a message of hope.
- Beyonce surprised Disney fans Thursday night when she showed up during the “Disney Family Singalong” event through a remote video. She performed “When You Wish Upon a Star,” the classic hit from “Pinocchio.”
- She said: “To all the families across the world, I’m very proud and honored to be a part of the Disney family and to help present the Disney Songbook Singalong in partnership with Feeding America.”
- She added: “I’d like to dedicate this song to all of the health care workers who’ve been working tirelessly to keep us healthy and safe. We greatly appreciate you.”
How it happened
- Robert Mills, ABC’s head of alternative programming, told BuzzFeed that Disney executive chairman Bob Iger made Beyonce’s appearance happen. Iger reached out to the “Lion King” star to see if she’d perform.
- Mills said: “She sent something in and it was absolutely beautiful. Beyoncé singing ‘When You Wish Upon a Star’ was in the total spirit of not only what the special is about, but what the country is about right now, and it was something only she could do.”